Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Last Nqt Observations - Any Ideas?!

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would ask for some ideas for my final NQT observation next week!! Yey!!

I am a Nursery teacher with a morning and afternoon class. I have been asked to do a mathematical development activity with a small group as my mentor has already observed me doing whole class/one to one activities in CLL and CD. My topic this term is People who help us and next week I will be looking at Police Officers. Any ideas for an activity linked to topic would be fantastic as I have gone blank!!

Please?? Thanks in advance!

x

Hi, I always think it is difficult making tenuous links but as the children are nursery aged you could do something with size, ordering and comparing objects or policemen!

Counting and ordering numbers, using ordinal numbers using police images would also be possible.

Good luck.

Not topic related but making 2D shapes with plasticine as the corners and lolly sticks as the edges/sides works well, you can scaffold/ extend through targetted questioning etc

Maybe make up a story about a police officer naming all the people he has helped, have a picture for each person and through the story the children learn the sequence. ( a policemans version of Brown, Bear, Brown Bear)

Use of ornidan numbers the 1st person she/he helped was, the 2nd was etc.

Peggy

What are the children doing currently? What does your AfL tell you? I would look at my assessments and then plan for the next step - either consolidation or moving on. If you know what it is you want them to focus on then you may be able to do it through the context of police etc. without knowing that it's hard to make suggestions about what the activity may be!

Cx

I feel the same - I see so many lessons where the reason for the activity is because of the topic rather than it being focused on what children need to develop or have developed through their own ideas etc. I think you can use a theme as a context but the intention has to be looked at first and then how you will do it usually comes quite easily.

Cx

My previous assessment has shown that the chn need more input on shape recognition and size language - big and small, so was thinking about abandoning idea of police and maybe look at postmen/ladies instead? I could do a nice sorting activity with size and shape of letters and then maybe look at wrapping presents with different sized paper? What do you think? Any ideas for extending? What do you think??

I agreee - I feel almost tied in by these topics I have to do and would much prefer to let the children guide us!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)