Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hlta Higher Level Teaching Assissants

Hi there

I have just recieved a form from our LEA ( SANDWELL), its to see whether we might get funding to become HLTA.

Has anyone one started the training for this yet?

Is it a national title?

If i understand corrcetly there are two routes to become HLTA's

1, A full training route if you lack experince and knowlegde

2, A three day briefing then a school visit to be assess on the standards

Does anyone know any more

:o

pinwillow, I knoe Ive read some stuff on this recently. when I get back to school I will dig it out and let you know if it contains anything of use

linda, higher level teaching assistant

Thanks Mundia. As far as I know we don't have HLTA's here in Stockport. I know some of our teaching assistants did STA courses but I'm not sure what the s stands for. I know it was to advance their skills so perhaps it was a similar thing?

Linda

hi ther pinkwillow, Im not sure that I have any more info than you about eh HLTA. theer are a limited number of places, about 7000 in the first year. There needs to be an approved training provider, of which there are 36 nationally and can be found at www.hlta.gov.uk

the assessment route is as you say, 3 days of training to prepare for the assessmenst agianst the standards

the full trainng route is 50 days, of which 20 will be out of school.

I guess that the website will have more info if you are interested.

My class room assisitant is traing to be a high level classroom assistant...( or what ever thay call it) She has had to attend courses and tutorials at a local university.... about 6-8 days each term. I currently have her standards sheet to fill in. She has really enjoyed it.... but it has been a lot of work with assignements and resource making.

L