Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Headteacher Retiring

Hi,

My headteacher is retiring at Xmas after almost 30 yrs at our school. We are planning a big assembly and have to think of something that each class can contribute - any ideas as to what would be suitable? Also we are having a collection for him and need to think of a suitable gift. Have never been to one of these so looking for some help. We are having a meeting next week to finalise arrangements so would love some ideas before then.

Thanks in advance

A nice keepsake would be a this is your life type book spanning his 30 years containing pictures staff and children and other momentos of the 30 years. You could also do a keepsake dvd with video footage of the school messages from staff and children past and present if the dvd idea is not practical a nice photoshow of the 3o years with backing music would be nice

Something to remind him of all the children and what he has done over the years would be wonderful, cards, and a this is your life type thing is a great idea. As far as a present is concerned I think that you should get someone to ask him what he would like. Most people would wish for something that they can really treasure as their parting gift, something lasting, and you need to be sure that it is something that they will treasure. I have known female colleagues choose watches and jewelery or something that they collect. When I retired the school and LEA between them gave me a family of porcelain Polar Bears which have pride of place in my house.

We had a key member of staff retire last Christmas. We sent a secret letter home to parents asking them or their children to write down any memories/funny stories/special moments they remember of the teacher who was leaving. Parents responded really well and we had lovely stories and comments written from many years previously. Lots began "I remember when Mrs R........" Staff also wrote comments.

The teacher had been at the school for many many years, and because she taught in Nursery, most children had been taught by her.

We put together a "Memories" book with the comments from parents and children and included photos and snippets of information.

As a gift from staff collections we bought her vouchers to choose a weekend away - something that, as a teacher, she had not been able to do for many years.

When our old head retired a year and a half ago we had loads of activities to mark the occasion. A week before she left we had a picnic lunch where all the parents and children came and sat on the field together. Then in the afternoon we had a magician, a visit from a man from the local zoo with some animals, a bouncy castle, ice creams etc etc. The afternoon ended with the governors and PTA making presentations to the head. They also unveiled a graden that the governors/PTA had put together on the staff and children's behalf. It was a large floor bed with railway sleeper edges. Pupils helped to plant plants and each child painted a pebble that was used to spell the words 'Thank you'. (We now have a garden club on a Friday luchtime that plants bulbs and maintains the garden).

2 days before she left we had an assembly where each class did a presentation to the head. My class changed the words of 'Old MacDonald' to 'Mrs B had a school..'. She had to sit on a special chair and at the end of their presentations each class presented her with a gaint card- most of which had the pupils photos on somewhere.

Don't know if any of these ideas are useful??

When I retired earlier this year after 21 years at the school, the staff gave me a party to which were invited past and present staff, governors and parents. Then I had a special assembly from the children. Each class had put together a book of poems and pictures for me. I had lots of small gifts but my main present was a keyboard. I also had two framed pictures, one a painting of the school painted by a member of staff, and the other made up from a head and shoulders self portrait of each child. My husband videoed both occasions for me.

something we did when our head left from the children was get two giant teracotta pots and using thin brushes andceramic paint every child and adult painted a flower on the pot, then we obviously varnished and planted with flowers it was a very stunning present from the children which i know the head has still got after all these years of retirement