Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Referencing And Word Counts

Serena

Can anyone advise how to reference the OU study notes. Is this example correct:

(Open University 2007, study topic 2, pg 3). These references takes up a lot of words. Do anyone know if we are allowed to go 10% over the stipulated words??

This is what I have done and had marked.

'and noted in Study Topic 2 (The Open University, 2003, p6)'.

I understand you only have to put the page number in if you are quoting directly in your TMA. If you put it into your own words you don't need to put the page number.

Also our tutor said we were definitely not allowed over the word count. It's amazing what you can cut out when you look again with a fresh eye. In my ECA for E123 I had to lose hundreds of words which I managed, mind you haven't had the result back for that yet!!

Good luck, referencing felt like another language to me initally but I have got used to it.

It may be worth checking, but references and bibliographies don't usually get included in word counts, (that may save you some words)

Sal

It may be worth checking, but references and bibliographies don't usually get included in word counts, (that may save you some words)

Sal

That was certainly the case when I studied, many years ago now though!

Sal

Definitely worth checking - quotations weren't part of the word count for Level 3 but most definitely were for our Foundation Degree. Best to check your student handbook before you get too far!

Maz

(who always uses a hundred words when ten would be more appropriate!)

Deb is correct I'm afraid. References and quotes in the body of work are counted. Most unfair I might add.

References and bibliograpgy at the end are not.

How to write references are covered in the OU materials in the assessment guide on page 17 - 20 (E123)

Good luck

:o

Do you mean your PT3 forms that you fill in to send with the TMA's they are sent to you in a mailing at the beginning of the course. Unfortunately you can not download these forms as they are carbon forms your tutor marks your results on them 1 stays with them 1 goes to Walton Hall and one comes to you with your returned assignment showing your results.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)