Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cursive Handwriting In Nursery

Hi everyone,

Bit of a puzzle - wondered in anyone could help! :o

I have been contacted by one of our feeder Nurseries with regards to how we teach letter formation. We have just this year introduced cursive script throughout school, beginning in Reception. The Nursery has found out about this and are wondering how they can help, because they start to teach children how to write their names in the term before they begin school. Obviously, they don't want to teach something that I will have to un-teach and I really do appreciate their concern.

Does anyone working in a Nursery/Pre-school setting have any experience of this, and could offer me any suggestions. Thanks.

we tried cursive as this is what our feeder school teaches but found our little ones could not grasp as they were just too young!!!! :o

Thanks Hali,

That's what I thought too, but then if you do begin to teach the children how to write their own name, what handwriting style do you use?

OK guys, I'm going to ask a daft question.

What do precursive and sassons look like?

I have heard of the names, and I have seen different styles of writing but have no idea which name goes with which style. Also which style of k do people use, the one as typed or the one that looks like a R with a bit sticking up.

Daft I know but I'n new to all this :o

Sal

Not daft at all!!!

Precursive is generally more rounded than the older traditional "ball and stick" printing that was taught previously, so no curves away from the letters in this and every letter finishing on the line in much the same way as this text does!

So precursive scripts have the a lead out from the base of the letter and will normally but not always include the curled k that you describe rather than the straight k, like this.

Sassons is the name of the font type but is generally not available free so comic sans like this is a good near equivalent. For an example of sassons you could look here. You will also see an example of precursive v print card if you look in resources at the flash cards!

Thanks everyone,

I really appreciate so much contribution to my original query. I am still pondering what advice I should give to our feeder Nursery, but in my heart of hearts I really do believe that cursive script, even for children beginning to write their own name, is far too difficult. :o

Isn't there a sheet on letter formation/handwriting in the Letters & Sounds pack? Yes, Appendix 2 of the 'Six-phase Teaching Programme' book. [p.196]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)