Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications

have just recieved reply from my MP who recieved a reply from the department of Education and skills reguarding qualifications pre 1989.

It says Quote: For earlier qualifications before 1989 my officails have agreed with the sector and Ofsted that providing there has been no large career gaps since the origional award has been obtained and the individuals concerned have kept up to date with developments in the key issue areas of child protection, health & safty, ELGs and SEN, qualifications should still be accepted. In all other cases, individuals are advised to contact early years national Training organisation or skillsActive (playwork) as appropriate who will look at each case and advise if further training is needed. Such training will be subject to an action plan agreed between the registered provider and the childcare inspector.

Finally, i would like to assure your constituant (me) that we do value and recognise the important contribution made by experienced workers like her to the education and development of young children.

:D:D:D

there we go Hotgrass will email letter to you if you want.

Now im going to ask about 33wk funding!!!!! :o

But it still doesn't tell us what courses are considered acceptable or that it will be a level 3. I want it in writing.

Have sent letter off to Tony Blair and await his reply.

Guest valletta

well done - and that says it all... but agree with hotgoss, put in wriitng what we need to do , if anything.

In my case - Ofsted has backd off and are happy with the qualifications I have and I have had no career break in the past 15years, as I started prreschool with my two and a half daughter by my side and worked as an assistant then, and in those days you could bring in your own children.

regards,

It also annoys me that with things like the ELG's , I work with them everyday so don't need a piece of paper to prove that I know what I'm doing. New members of staff with new level 3's often need help with the stepping stones as although they've learnt about them at college putting them into practise is a different matter.

I want it in writing exactly what is need to top up and that my NNEB is a level 3. What is going to happen when new issues come into force in the future , will it be downgraded to a level 2 again until I complete new top ups.

Guest rhodessj

I've had a reply too!!

My MP (Malcolm Moss) received a reply from Cambridgeshire County Council in April, but they failed to reference the letter, so its been back & forth while the House of Commons tried to tie it up to the original enquiry...

Anyway mine says much the same as Hali's - ultimately there is still no cut & dried answer as to which courses are counted and which are not. The continuities are: as long as there has been no career break you're OK; each case will be reviewed individually; and Ofsted have the overall say. Therein, lies another problem - most Ofsted Inspectors will say different things to different settings.

This doesn't actually affect me personally at all (but does affect those I work with). When we eventually have an Ofsted, I shall push for the decision (and methodology) of the Inspector to be committed to paper so that we can hold it up in years to come.

In the meantime, one of the areas of concern is Child Protection - two of our staff attended CP1 last week and heard that CP2 was being held after half term - when trying to get on the course, we've found most of them are fully booked... One is available, but on a work-day so we have to choose who to send as we can't afford both out at the same time. The Head of Training at Cambridge simply said we only need to have one rep. from the group!!!!!

I think we still have a way to go until all the relevant bodies are in complete agreement about what is and is not required. We also need clarification on how long constitutes a "career break" and what happens a few years from now when another set of legislation is introduced that invalidates another part of the old (or even current) DPP/NNEB??

War-weary of Cambridgeshire... :o

This is what is written in a repy from a lady from OFSTED

Ofsted as an organisation do not make decisions regarding the updating of qualifications. We ask that they meet the required NVQ level.

I was also told by our OFSTED inspector that it is not down to OFSTED to make decisions about qualifications !! so who do we listen to ?????

OFSTED and the department still aren't in agreement that it is unfortuantely hopefully that lovely Mr Blair will sort it out for me ha ha ha ha

oops that meant to say the department for education. Thank goodness it s Friday. :o

Nursery Education advertised my website this week so am starting to get feedback from that now.

As you know, I live in Scotland and this is not an issue here. The Scottish Social Services Council has just reviewed and issued new guidelines about qualifications needed by 'Early Education and Childcare Workers'. A 'practitioner' needs to hold a relevant level 3, HNC or NNEB certificate. (Theres a whole list of others but I'm not going to type them all in!! :o ) If Scotland can manage to clarify the matter I'm sure England should be able to as well - as soon as someone works out whose responsibility it is!! :D:DxD