Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For A Room With Btt And Fs Children

Hi there everyone,

I work at a nursery that has only been open for about a year, we are just coming to the point where in the 2-3 room we have children turning three, but there is no space for them in the pre-school room, i was woundering if anyone had any tips on how they plan with both ages mixed, any ideas will be gratefully recieved!!

cheers

Hi boo, This age and moving room thing is something I've never really being comfortable with but thats my playgroup background I suppose. :(

As its the 2-3 room, will much need to change? Ok, so you'll probably be getting the NEG for some of them shortly and your planning will need to be linked to the FS but really not much would need to change I'd have thought. Maybe a bit more challenge? You know your children best, do they need to move onto the FS or are some still working at BTT levels? The same activities can be used across all ages but you'll need to show some differentiation in your plans. Hopefully the EYFS iwll put an end to these kinds of issues :o

Sorry not much help. xD

Hello Boo, welcome to the forum. I think looking at and getting to know the new EYFS will be very useful for you, I agree with Rea in that seamless transitions are best and are accomplished by planning for the individual, ie: differentiated opportunities.

Children are so holistic in their learning styles and differ in developmental levels between various areas and contexts it isn't in their best interests to plan for them within only one catagory or another ie: BTTM OR FSC, so a combination of both is I would say the norm ie: the EYFS. :o

Peggy

We plan for BTTM as well as FS, as we often have children before NEF in our Pre-school room. Really, there's not much difference, as we have a child-led provision - you might want to look at the article 'Motivational Planning' in the Members Articles section, as it sums up our approach.

Oh, and welcome! :o

Good luck!

Sue

Thanks for all your help guys! I found the motivational planning artical very helpfull, i have not benn qualified for long, therefore am fairly new to planning , i think this will give me a lot more confidence in what i do.

I agree with everything said and would suggest that you start referring to and using the new EYFS guidance, rather than B23 and Foundation Stage, as soon as you can. Our room is for 2-5 year olds and it's much easier to use the single framework for planning.

Thanks for the advice wolfie, i have been having a read through the EYFS the last couple of days and i think it will make things a lot easier for us to start using it a.s.a.p.

Have you any idea whether you will be "Ofstedded" befoe September 2008 when the EYFS framework becomes statutory? If you've been inspected relatively recently and are not due another one until after that date, you can slowly start implementing the EYFS framework now without having to worry that if Ofsted come you will have to revert back to B23 and Foundation Stage. Just a thought! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)