Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Numeracy Framework

Well, have managed to do most of my planning for new week, but just keep sitting here with the new framework and feel like crying. I have printed off some medium term planning that I think Marion recommended, which does at least break things down into 2/3 week blocks, but I'm finding it really hard to make it meaningful or cohesive. The break down of Block C includes sorting (using and applying and data handling), heavier and lighter etc., language related to time. Two weeks - no number work?

Is anyone using the framework and would be willing to post some of their weekly planning before I lose the will to live :o ?

Harricroft

Thanks for those Marion and Suzy. Yes Marion, that was the stuff I referred to - guess I'm just worried about how to split things down on a day-to-day basis. Are people still doing number work- counting on number lines, number rhymes etc as a kind of warm up? Just looking at Block C doesn't inspire me much - sorting (could do this as an starter I suppose - sorting children in different ways and counting how many in each/using more and less etc), language of greater and smaller etc, sequencing and time, sorting for data handling. I have dipped into the Abacus before and might look for the objectives on there for inspiration - which is sdaly lacking at the moment.

PS thanks for the offer of planning Suzy, but we don't use numicon - have heard it mentioned before but haven't got a clue what it is.

Harricroft

Just wondering if someone could help - i have opened the mixed age plans from the cumbria grid, but it won't let me print them as i see them, i keep getting half of it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you rectify it? thanks sunbeam

Just wondering if someone could help - i have opened the mixed age plans from the cumbria grid, but it won't let me print them as i see them, i keep getting half of it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you rectify it? thanks sunbeam

The problem with the mixed age planning is that it has been written using A3 paper size so when you try to print it on A4 you get parts missed off. Now I only have to remember how I solved it for a friend. I think I went into the printer set up and selected A4 on the papersize but I'm not 100% sure.

PSRN_aut2_medium_planning.docHi Harricroft,

I too have struggled with planning using the new framework. If you look at the blurb above the info about blocks etc it mentions KS1 and KS2 no mention of Foundation Stage. I think it is really difficult to plan using the blocks so have adapted my plans using the strands etc (making sure there is some breadth). I have inserted by weekly and medium term plans for this term. It may be of some help.

Took me a bit of time but i did get it checked over by our numeracy co-ordinator. She agreed, like me that it was important to include the correct terminology for F.S such as look, listen and note etc.

Thanks Munch,

I have been following this discussion with some interest, as I too am confused about how to plan and organise my Mathematics in Reception class. I appreciate your plans and I like the way you have included all the relevant information. My problem is that although I could make a medium term plan giving an overview of what I want the children to learn over the term, I could not forsee, so far in advance, the particular activities which I would propose to use. Perhaps I'm just a bit brain dead at the moment, but I do like to use the children's interests whenever possible and obviously I can't foresee what these will be.

I don't know whether I am doing right or wrong at the moment. :o However, because this new class are very young I do not feel they are ready for the structure of daily Mathematics and Literacy. I therefore have alternate days, one for Literacy and one for Mathematics. However, I do manage to have a daily phonics session and opportunities for number songs/rhymes and counting activities. I also like to use our outdoor provision for practical Mathematical activities.

Sorry to ramble on, but it is so nice to be able to speak to other Foundation Stage teachers who seem to be having the same problems as myself.

Thanks again

I know what you mean about having a plan so far in advance. I grapple with this all the time. If you go on a course for F.S they will talk about child initiated planning and that Literacy and numeracy is not compulsory. If you go on another course they will say that it is all about balance. We will probably have Ofsted this year and so I have had to really rethink my planning. I have always planned numeracy and literacy sessions over four days. I plan for two adult led activities (groups rotated) then have several free choice activities (which will involve other areas of learning) the other children then choose. These activities take place over the whole week so that they can revisit. It works really well as the more structured activities suit those who are ready and then small world, role play etc suit those younger children. Also continuous provision such as role play, writing table, reading area are always available.

I am having problems uploading my weekly plan. Not sure how to get it to you.

Munch

Thanks Munich,

I appreciate wholeheartedly what you are grappling with. We too are expecting Ofsted literally any day now - so much to the point that the Head reports back every evening to say "Well, we've not had the 'phone call today". No wonder everybody is getting paranoid!

What always puzzles me is that we spend so much time at home worrying, and then I go into school today with the whole day planned and then this morning we find out that one little girl has broken her arm over half term and another little boy is expecting the birth of his baby sister today - first half hour's planning out the window!!! :o

Anyway to return to the subject of Numeracy planning. I am going to use your idea of medium term planning so at least I have a clear view of where I am going. I will then add activities as I go along. I would be very interested in seeing a copy of your weekly plans if you don't mind. Don't spend too much time trying to send them, but if you could it would be nice.

Thanks

Munch, thanks so much for medium term planning. I've downloaded, but not had a chance to have a proper look yet because we've had parents' evening tonight - though at first glimpse it looks really good (and more user friendly than the vast reams of pages in the PSRN stuff). Didn't want you to think I wasn't REALLY grateful. Looking forward to getting to grips with this.

Thanks Harricroft

The information in the Primary Framework document says "The Framework for literacy and mathematics remains as guidance and is not statutory, although it complements EYFS."

There are examples of how the framework relates to EYFS

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primaryfr...ll/cllplanning/

"Blue text signifies end-of-year (EOY) objectives within Mathematics and Early Learning Goals (ELG) within Foundation Stage. "

Isn't that the point - it's for KS1 and 2, the EYFS will be for Foundation Stage. And there's no mention of blocks and strands in that document as far as I can see..........

Cx

Hi Catma,

That was the point I was making, that blocks etc are aimed at KS1 and 2. However, most of the strands do relate directly to the Goals in EYFS. I have made reference to the strands in my planning but have made sure that I am using the correct terminolgy for Foundation Stage planning. At the end of the day there appears to be no right or wrong way. It is down to the individual and how much or little they need or want to plan.

Munch

I've just looked today and seen that you're all talking about numeracy planning. I'm having problems too. I'm trying to relax my planning to enable me to follow the children's interests but at the moment my school want me to start using the New Numeracy framework. I see you had sent a copy of your weekly plan. would you mind sending me one? i would like to see what other people are doing! Thankyou in advance!

Hi Munch,

Just to say thankyou so much for your numeracy MTP this is something I have been pondering over for a couple of weeks. I have inherited some out of date plans (that my colleagues are quite happy to continue using like they have for the last 5 years) and needed some inspiration and examples.

The format is always the bit that gives me a headache and which takes the time so thankyou .

As far as the following child's interests v's planning in adcance issue I am using the activities as examples not to be followed literally this satisfies me and my colleagues!

Love Sharon

Thanks Sharon

I agree with you about the supporting (free choice) activities. I plan these activties in advance however, if the children take it into a different direction I tend not to intervene. I also always have a small world activty so that the children can create their own stories etc. Keep up your good work it is always worth re evaluating your planning processes.

Munch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)