Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Don't Know Where To Start

wellerkaren

I have my first essay since starting my deree, i just don't know where to start and essay needs to be handed in on the 1st of November. i have started by saying what my role is within my setting. i don't know what eles to add.

thanks karen

Edited by wellerkaren

not sure just told we needed to write a essay of the current role of a early years practitioner. was given it the thursday before half tern and needs to be haned in by next thurday. all we was told was to add theories in to it/. i have a head ach have been at my computer all week and still only have 150 words typed out

I would just write about your role within the setting, how theorists have influenced what you do in your setting, then talk about their theories, hope this helps, stick at it.... I have an essay to write for my degree due in middle of november on how children learn. I know exactly how you are feeling and i haven't started it yet, still catching up on pre-school work..... Good Luck

You need to answer the essay in sections titled:

what makes an effective practitioner?

assessment and ELG

reflection/ CPD- how can I learn from my own work

planning- the importance of and uses of

resources- how to use them, things that have worked for you

teaching and learning- teaching styles , learning styles

special educational needs- within your setting , how you would cope generally with SEN

gifted and talented children- differentiation and challenging children

parents- home/school liaison

displays- importance of, use of - interactive

outside classroom

use of roleplay

Areas of learning

If you need any more help with more specific things- just let me know

hope this helps

Suzybell

You need to answer the essay in sections titled:

what makes an effective practitioner?

assessment and ELG

reflection/ CPD- how can I learn from my own work

planning- the importance of and uses of

resources- how to use them, things that have worked for you

teaching and learning- teaching styles , learning styles

special educational needs- within your setting , how you would cope generally with SEN

gifted and talented children- differentiation and challenging children

parents- home/school liaison

displays- importance of, use of - interactive

outside classroom

use of roleplay

Areas of learning

If you need any more help with more specific things- just let me know

hope this helps

Suzybell

Suzy......i don't know about anyone else, but I could kiss you!! I handed in my rough ddraft, knowing that I'd get it back (next week probably), and have been having sleepless nights thinking about how I could have/should have made it better..........and up you pop with exactly how i can.so, I shall rewrite over the weekend, using your tips, THANKYOU!!!! ..................I may come back to you for more advice if that's ok?? :) :)

I would tackle it by giving a brief introduction on the role of an early years practitioner and how early years has now become recognised as being vital - perhaps site some legislation or some research relating to children's development in the early years to go in with this, Children's Act, ECM etc. - or put in a bit of historical background. This can then lead you into what training an early years practitioner needs to have and then use some theorists to explain how your role with children evolves - where do your personal values fall and how they tie up with some of the theorists.

Dont panic - although you only have the first 150 words these are the hardest to get down - once you are happy with your introduction then you will be away and probably wont be able to stop but pinning down the first paragraph/100 words is often the hardest - so dont despair - it will all come together. If you are writing an essay and not a report then you could add in headings as Suzybell has suggested, although check with your Uni some don't like it - just think about your practice and where you want to take it. There are no wrong answers, its all a matter of personal perspective and if you back it up with theorists then it will be fine. Good luck

Nikki

Oh can I do yours please - I might be able to writesomething sensible.

Our first assignment is " The use of self evaluation in target setting for professional development".

We have to write an action plan and then justify one target from it. I have chosen the target of research and understand the importance of reflective practice in relation to my setting, practice and studies.

I am exactly the same as you i have written a few lines and that's after staring at the page for ages. My 7 year old keeps offering to help - i am very tempted.

HI TESS ours is a self review choosing 3 to 6 targets of area of need after completing a training needs analys based on the EYP standards. Im struggling with how to do the first half which is saying what we do (the boxes we ticked)I have lots of evidence to back it up but dont know how to write it!!

Seems as if its all the same thing doesnt it but different ways of asking!!

I think I'd just do the essay as is, without the headings, but writing something on each of them............does that make sense? We were just given the heading of 'Reflective Practitioner', and all of it comes together with Suzy's prompts! I have had some serious moments/days/weeks of self-doubt over this, BUT i'm going to rise to the challenge.............I just might need some help from you guys! :oxD:(

I agree - I go from the I'm totally sunk and why did I enrol (normally after a session on Grammar at Uni ,when my kids have been ill all night or the ironing hits the roof), to the really positive I can do it me!!!

We wouldn't be normal, if we didn't have doubts. We can do it, we all juggle 20 thinks a day so what is a small little degree course to add to the pile.

Then next few years should be interesting, but if we stick together we will get through - there are some great words of wisdom on this site and someone will always help.

You are so right Tess, the words of wisdom from this sight is the one thing that keeps me going, my next degree essay is on how children learn 2000 words - i have just handed in my 4000 word essay, they seem never ending, just get one finished and along comes another..... good luck with yours

Suzy......i don't know about anyone else, but I could kiss you!! I handed in my rough ddraft, knowing that I'd get it back (next week probably), and have been having sleepless nights thinking about how I could have/should have made it better..........and up you pop with exactly how i can.so, I shall rewrite over the weekend, using your tips, THANKYOU!!!! ..................I may come back to you for more advice if that's ok?? :) :)

That is absolutely fine- and I would get advice on whether to use the section headings- it depends on what your remit is. It is my pleasure to help.

You will need to link in to theorists but I have plenty on that too- just ask and I am happy to help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)