Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Power Rangers

I am trying this term to go with the interests of the children, and I have a class of 15 boys and 7 girls and most of my boys are really interested in Power rangers at the moment. They have already been making wristbands out of paper that shoot people and zap special powers. I would like to take this as a theme and go with it, but I have no ideas at all really and dont know much about power rangers. What texts could I use, what writing could I do, any ideas for role play area? Any help would be very grateful Thanks

thanks for that whitetree. Did you plan any specific activities or was it mainly child initiated play that you joined in. From reading the info on the website, it looks like I will be able to get some good PSE from it - cooperation, everyone is different etc.

Im going to move this to the curriculum area for you, sunbeam as I think that may be more relevant than foundation degree.

You could do some descriptive writing about power rangers and even write stories. Maybe label pictures they have drawn etc? You might do some guided work contributing to make a cooperative story of some sort? Not sure about texts but some things will always stand alone and that is ok too.

I don't know anything about the Power Rangers apart from the fact that they are different colours, but I assume they have vehicles of some description or a base???

Could you set a task for the children to design a vehicle that flies, one that floats, one that can go underwater etc or a base station with certain features? - KUW.

You could get the children to write letters on behalf of the Power Rangers to other superheroes to have an international convention of peace/friendship - CLLD, PSE.

Hope this helps?

When my lads and their friends were little the power rangers games were getting really loud so I told them that Rita Repulsa (one of the baddies) had put a spell on the power rangers and taken their voices.

2 hours later the boy from next door asked if Rita had given their voices back yet. :(

I felt really naughty, but bless their hearts for taking the story seriously. :o:(

Their vehicles used to be animals all of which had a special power. a FROG FOR THE JUMPING, A TIGER FOR ITS SPEED, A BIRD AND Aasome more but that was the original series and a long time ago. All the animals could join together to make one big robot called megazord. Could you look at the power real animals have? How their senses are more developed than ours. xD

• 2 weeks later...

when we did our superhero fortnight... we did a bit on Power Rangers... I took freeze frame from the DVD and added speech bubbles for sequencing/free writing activity. Loads of role-play, but structured, so we had them plan their stories first on a massive piece of paper in groups of say three or four... (bearing in mind this was end of summer term)... some of their plans were amazing! - then we had them filming each other when they were role play, which I then cut together to make a montage at the end!

Also, we did stop-start animation using Power Ranger figures and backdrops the children had made and using 2Simple's 2Animate and digital cameras. They got so into it... even the girls!

On a similar vain two books that are worth a read:

We Don't Play With Guns Here - excellent read for any teacher worried about weapon and superhero play... changed the way I look at certain situations, though I have to say I agreed with most of it, and it was good to refer to when putting arguments forward to SMT about superhero play!

Traction Man: just a great children's book (especially for boys)!!! My class used to love it!

Hope this helps

~ Porl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)