Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floor Space

When deciding how many children are allowed in one unit, is there a legal amount of floor space for each person.

Im asking because when we opened our early years unit approx 6 years ago we were told it was for 60 children each session.( dont know who by).

When we had two very experienced teachers in the unit the numbers were kept to 60 plus 4 staff.

If there were more reception children the oldest went into a mixed small rec/yr 1 class.

When another teacher ( who has now left after finding it too hard to cope) took over she said we will keep the 5 extra children and this has now grown.

We are now going to have 72 children each session. A

This is why we are trying to find out if there is a legal requirement for floor space.

when we brought this up with the head he just said the numbers are fine, this from a head who still quotes it is legall to have 1 teacher to 30 reception children, so you are well staffed.

Any advise would be welcome as we are thinking of calling in the unions to help. Didnt want to do this unless last option

WE would have had 74 but 2 childre have left the area.

well, there's a conundrum.....................when I opened my group, I was told it was entirely up to me how many children i choose to have in the building, no legal space requirements any more!! I was told ( by the 'O'people) that my judgement was part of the suitable person interview, so if Ifelt the rooms were big enough for 10, 20 or 30, well, it was my call.i would be judged at inspections on how i used the space and how well the children could use it........ I queried this because at other groups we'd had to measure round doorways, leave 'walkways' etc, but was told, no definately up to you !sorry to add confusion to things!

The premises and equipment must be organised in a way that meets the needs of children.

In registered provision, providers must meet the following space requirements:

children under two years: 3.5 m2 per child;

two year olds: 2.5 m2 per child;

children aged three to five years: 2.3 m2 per child.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/reso...y-framework.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)