Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthday Topic

Can anyone share any good ideas for a few days topic work on this with a Reception Class?

We are doing the topic 'ourselves' but have done it for years and so am trying to put in things i have not done before.

Here are some ideas so far

CLL: Lists of party foods, writing inviations

Maths: Playdough cakes and adding candles

Creative: Designing cards and hats

KUW: Senses: Sight: play party game blind mans buff, Taste: tasting different foods. would they be good as party food?

PSE: Candles and matches safety

Physical: still working on hall space and rules so will play ring games and party games e.g. musical statues

might be nice to plan a party for the end of the week?

any other suggestions would be gladly received.

Any good books to read?

Hope someone can help

Can anyone share any good ideas for a few days topic work on this with a Reception Class?

We are doing the topic 'ourselves' but have done it for years and so am trying to put in things i have not done before.

Here are some ideas so far

CLL: Lists of party foods, writing inviations

Maths: Playdough cakes and adding candles

Creative: Designing cards and hats

KUW: Senses: Sight: play party game blind mans buff, Taste: tasting different foods. would they be good as party food?

PSE: Candles and matches safety

Physical: still working on hall space and rules so will play ring games and party games e.g. musical statues

might be nice to plan a party for the end of the week?

any other suggestions would be gladly received.

Any good books to read?

Hope someone can help

Hi I've put birthday things in home corner before and had music playing for games, pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey etc, dressing up in party clothes and all the other things you suggested. I have seen a great physical session done with a balloon for each child but I can't quite remember all the detail. It might have been a 'Tops' one.

Wrap something so its shape is clear and ask them to guess what is inside, talk about why it isnt what they suggested and why they are right, you could fit quite a lot into it depending on what you wrap, CLL, MD, KUW. Or wrap boxes and ask them to guess what could be inside out of a selected few items, is it big enough for the book, too small for the doll?

:o

Guest Wolfie

Another good activity involving wrapping which my children always love is just providing all the materials for them to wrap parcels themselves - plenty of cheap wrapping paper, glue, scissors, sellotape, masking tape, etc. and a selction of boxes and containers to wrap. We always have that as a child-initiated activity on the run up to Christmas but it can easily be transferred to birthdays!!

Hi, we have just finished a week long celebration for teddy's birthday. We made cards and wrapping paper and invitations for their own teddies, played games in hall, made party food in house corner, decorated cakes and made jelly at snack, made pretend cakes with the playdough, read stories - Topsy and Tim, PB Bear's Birthday, Happy Birthday Moon, found a toy in nursery to wrap using their paper, talked about their experiences. The week ended with the party on Friday morning! :o A great week which involved all the children somewhere and covered so many learning outcomes1 xD

Not too sure how many children you have but what about involving the parents by asking them to help by asking their children to select a small toy (old Mcdonalds toy nothing more than 50p or something) write the name of the person they will be giving this to and get them to bring presents in on one day to share them - lots of language as to why they chose this for their particular friend - why its good to give - highlighting how lucky they are to be able to share a toy and some children do not have any toys to share - (remember to have a few back ups wrapped up as someone will forget) or you could tie this in with operation chirstimas child but you could say this was for an early birthday present - okay so we lie but its not a bad one and fill some shoe boxes with their toys - they do a really good video to go with it and its always fun - amazing to see what they bring in once again talking about children who have nothing and why you are asking them to help - brings in a lot of pse and KUW. Or what about getting them to bring in a toy and ask them to set up a shop so they can buy them and collect the money to sponsor a child in a third world country as I am sure you will get a birthday card from the organisation.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)