Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents' Evenings

HI Got parents' evenings next week and was wondering whether people go through all the points on the profile , write notes of their own, or anything different. 10 minutes really isn't very long. I also need to get the parents to write a comment too. What do you do?

When I went to my daughters parents evening last year in reception the teacher showed me where abouts she was on entry to the school in CLL and MD (They use pips there). They generally told me how she was settling in. They then gave me a piece of paper on which I wrote my comments which i presume they then later put into the profile. They did not go through the profile with me.

Hope this helps

Sue

Hi Emily

I think the most important thing at this point in the year is how the children are settling in, any concerns you have and anything the parents can do to support further at home. I don't think you need to go through the profile.

We used to do parent conferences as an addition to parents evening when we ere able to give more time to each one.

Guest heleng

Our autumn parents evening is usually about how the children have settled, anything we are concerned about or that the parents are concerned about and things they can do at home to support their child's learning.

In the spring term we have a day where we have parent and pupil consultations lasting about 20-25 minutes where we go through IEP's and specific targets.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Mundia -at this very early stage, the meeting will be an opportunity for you to start buidling a relationship with the parents and stressing how you can work in partnership, sharing information on their child, in order to promote their learning and development.

Personally, I wouldn't spend too much time on assessments and profile statements and would concentrate more on PSE development - settling in, confidence, social skills, enthsusiasm, etc. There will always be some parents who will start to worry, even at this very early stage, that their child isn't progressing as well as others and you don't want to fuel those concerns in any way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)