Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Converting Fsp To Nc Levels

I hope this works, it's my first message. I'm in my first year of teaching and I'm starting to stress about the FSP. I am filling them in (but not by e-profile) and gathering evidence as required. However at my school these are not sent home therfore I write reports as well - not sure if every does anyway. How do I then use the information from the profiles to help the transition up to class one? IS there a spreadsheet or excel package to use to enter the statistical information to help with leveling?

Not sure if any of this makes any sense. If anyone can interpret this message please reply.

Thanks

hi lynsey & welcome.

the only requirement is that you provide the statistics from the profile ie how many scored on each scale.

the booklets are optional so unless your school requires these as part of the childs individual records stop!

Your profiles will be moderated, or may have been already. You need to show what you have scored and produce a range of evidence to justify your decisions. you do not need evidence for every point for every child. Your profiles should be sampled and inmy LEA those children will be observed to verify decisions.

we made ourselves a spreadsheet to send to yr1 for an at glance picture of attainment. I have used it to track progress as well this year, although it has been difficult working out where/how to store evidence and we have used individual booklets based on the profile document rather than special books.

Hope that helps.

Report time always has been quite stressful and the FSP doesn't make it any better.

Could you talk to your mentor or someone in school about this workload?

Are you the only reception teacher, if so its really important to let someone know how you feel.

I sent the booklets home last year as that was the only way we could justify the time.

Thanks Susan that does help. I am in a one-form entry school and have found this first year hard alone!

I will talk to my head and ask when I will be moderated or my profiles sampled, no one has mentioned anything yet. Thanks again for replying so promptly.

hi there lynsey and welcome on board.

Great advice from Susan there, dont make more work for yourself than you have to.

Our LEA produce a document that matched the points on the profile to the Nc levels but at the end of the day, it isnt for you to do that. We write reports as we use the eproffile so no booklets, but they are much too wordy for our parents to have understood anyway.

If you wish to use a speadseet, make sure that your Head gives you adequate time out to complete it. I certainly wouldnt volunteer yourself more work-you have enough to do already.

Personally, I dont think it should be up to reception teachers to have to convert the infromation into a fromat that year 1 can understand

This is one of the problems that has been highligted with the FSP, so you are not alone on that.

But Im sure ther wil be other views on this so keep reading... :o

In Essex we have software called "Target Tracker" on which we record all stepping stones and Profile statements. It produce graphs and reports for us. We have it set up in class all the time so we can click on things we have observed and make comments on them as well. For me it is working extremely well and has cut down on a lot of paper records. We send scores to LEA using this software.

There is a FS version and then a Primary version.

Can get details if you are interested

heyjude

Mundia

Do you have the document which compares the FSP to NC levels or know if and wher I could get a copyof it from. It would be of great use if I could get this info.

Thanks

Lorna

The document is writen by our LEA, I think year 1 have found it quite helpful.

I have a copy but not on disc. Ill check out their website and see if its downloadaable from there, or I could try scanning it (Im in danger of being out of my depth there).

:o

Ok. Ive checked my Lea website and the document isnt there. Its called 'making links'. My copy is not brilliiantly clear in places so its not coming out very well in my old scanner. I could send it on to you Lorna but Im afraid I would need an address. Unless there are other brilliant ideas?

Hi there the document is called

Making Links: Supporting Transition for the Foundation Stage into Key Stage 1

Birmingham Education Service Assessment Unit in conjunction with Wendy Sutton

If you telephone BASS publications at the Martineau Centre, Balden Road, Quinton Birmingham or the Assessment unit at the same address you hopefully will be pointed in the right direction :)

sorry I don't have the phone number to hand

p.s a copy of the booklet was supposed to be sent free to every school in the Birmingham areas as far as I am aware.. so it may be a case of tracking it down under all the junk mail in the head's office!!

hi lisa & welcome,I'm not sure I've welcomed you before?

Is this where they get 2000 odd requests!?

Do you have any idea of the cost of this and would it be worth getting hold of ie does it help?

Yes thanks Liza, Ive been onto BASS today as I would like an electroic version but its not available on the web site. My print quality is quite poor, is yours OK?

Im awaiting a reply.

Susan there isnt a charge as far as I know. I think it cpould be quite useful for year 1 teachers to see where the children are coming from, and relate the profiles to the 'levels' they are more familiar with. It is also useful for reception teachers as it shows you where the children are going next, and if you are one of those people having to set targets or report 'level' it will be useful.

It also covers all the areas of the curriculum, not just literacy and numeracy.

Hi Susan thanks for the warm welcome xD

I'm not sure if there is a cost. I can find out but Mundia seems to think not so go with that. I think the document is quite useful for Reception teachers towards the end of the FS and as Mundia said helpful too for our Y1 colleagues to enable them to see where we are coming from.

Particulalry those children beginning to work beyond the ELG's as we can cross reference and set appropriate targets.

It does make interesting reading; especially when you look at the writing levels!!! :o quite an eye opener in terms of the point 9 linking to level 2 writing!

On a completely different track... where does everyone get those groovy little animated icons by your names I would lurve one! :(

Hi there!!

Well, Lisa, it's like this...... xD:(

Go to a thread called 'Avatars' in Miscellaneous, Lounge/Golden Time and, if you're strong, you'll find instructions. Others can put a link in, but not me (yet!! :o )

Look forward to seeing it!!

Sue :D

there is a very lengthy discussion on the the 'groovy little animated icons' which if you have the strenegth, you will find here

just hope you dont lose the will to live before you get to the importantt bits... :D:D

ok Sue and Mundia

here I go... into the breech of the Avatar.. i :o f you don't get a posting from me in the next few days you know I'm lost in cyberspace with a trouoblesome animation!! :D

cheers

liza

IM BACK!!!

oh what fun trawlling the net for animations. Thanks for the links girls. Managed to find this one although the other i had my eye on was tooooo big. :o

I'm on the search for the perfect one (less than 20k anyway). I love Mundia's the colour and quality is fab :D

Still, this will do for now.

thanks once agaon your help as always is much appreciated.

Liza

Well done Liza!! :D Now we'll all have to play 'Spot the avatar change' when you find one you like better. :o

Sue,

I want to know how to put in links too but no one will tell me. xD Is it something to do with the 'post number' when you conduct a search? :(

There is an explanation somewhere, which I wouldnt dare repeat as I know it wouldnt make any sense. :D. I know what to do, but expalining to someone else...err......

perhaps we could strat a new topic on that in the lounge?

But, just to return to the topic of this thread, (if I may be so bold), I agree with you Liza. The statmenet 9, does appear to equate to a level 2 in writng, but I think we do need to be a little reserved about suggesting that a child scoring a 9 in the profile is operating at level 2. The level 2 statmenet is much more detailed than the profile statemenet. Personally I would reserve judgement on giving a 9 unless I had a child who really was consistently writing sentences in a varirty of contexts, using correctly spelled word and puntuation. I think that is where this document wouild be helpful in making those judgmenet calls.

:o

I phoned Bass Publications yesterday to enquire about the document making links.....

It costs £25 for 5 copies. :o

They only sell it that way.

I have to wait until Monday to speak to my head about ordering it.... we also want it to try and make a school trcking document so hopefully she will be uo for buying it.

Have a good weekend all

Lorna

Hi! Have just read the discussion on converting levels and the BASS publication sounds really useful.

I'm in a one form entry school and the junior management are saying that I should be doing separate assessment according to KS1 Attaiment targets etc.(for more able children) as well as all the profile assessment/observations etc. They are obsessed with levelling and don't understand FS or profile! Being in a 1 form entry school I don't really have anyone to help argue my case against all this extra assessment but if I could try and explain how profile converts to Nc levels it might help! (Not sure if this all makes any sense!)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi there beckyH, if we've not spoken before, then welcome. :o

This is a really difficult one isnt it? Have you seen the recent report from OFSTED about the profile. Its quite clear about the overassessment that some schools are expecting in reception and is definitely sending out measages that this should not be the case. perhaso you could wave it under their noses in an attempt to fight your corner?

Just in case you havent sen it yet, you can find it

here

hope that helps.

:D

Thankyou Mundia! Have since had a chat with my headteacher (who has overidden junior management) and said I don't have to do extra assessment as none of my children are anywhere near level 9 of the profile, quite a relief!

The ofsted report was interesting! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)