Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toddler Room Construction Toys

Hi

The staff in toddler room (1 - 2 years) tell me the children are bored and that they think they need more construction toys.

we have the usual mega blocks, baby duplo, wooden blocks, happy land (okay a bit small world(ish) but they build tracks etc.... :o ) buut other than that i am stumped for ideas,

so what construction type toys do you have in your room

Dawn

Most places I've been are resourced much the same way Dawn, and I admit to being bored myself of the same stuff. Toys intended for an 'educational' purpose are the absolute worst. xD

I dont think there is much stuff thats different, its all a variation on a theme really.

How about mixing some of the boxes up, or placing the boxes on the floor and just watching. Add unusual items to the brick box and see if it changes the childrens play. Sorry I cant come up with resources :o

There are some nice big Stickle Bricks (My First Stickle Bricks) and some really nice chunky Magnetic Construction sets around now.

Agree with Rea that it is good to add different resources to the sets - e.g. cars, small dolls, soft toys, wild animal models, dinosaur models , fabric squares, sheets and strips of coloured card, etc. It is interesting to see what they do!

From my experience children in that age group are actually more interested in the adult input to any activity rather than instigating something for themselves. Is it more that the staff are bored with the resources?? In which case perhaps you need to set them a challenge to make the provision more interesting in a novel way so that they rekindle their enthusiasm. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)