Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Very Noisy Class!

I have inherited a rather loud class of children this year! My TA and I cant believe quite how noisy they are and it seems to be the general standard for the whole class not just some of them, even though we never see any particular ones shouting or raising their voice... a rather puzzling mystery!

We have started using the calm music as a strategy for trying to quieten them down but was wondering if anyone else had any tips that they could share! Or any particular music that they could recommend, think my weekend is going to include downloading various tracks!

I had an unexpected lesson observation earlier in the week (that'll teach me for not looking at the diary sheet!) and the only thing picked up on was the noise, so am really keen to get it improved asap!

Thank you!

Well at least thats one way of minimising the pre observation stress!

Have you thought about a noise meter, traffic light idea?

I think you probably need something to target the whole class and a reward at the end?

Good luck.

Well at least thats one way of minimising the pre observation stress!

Have you thought about a noise meter, traffic light idea?

I think you probably need something to target the whole class and a reward at the end?

Good luck.

Hi Susan

'scuse me for being dull....( I usually shut down after 9pm)

but could you enlighten me on the ideas you offered - they sound pretty interesting!!

One teacher at school where I'm a gov quietens any class she's with by speaking very quietly...... she gathers them on the carpet and they have to listen carefully to hear what she's saying - she's brilliant at it and is often called in to deal with noisy classes!

Sarahx :o

Hi

I am not sure that you will find this useful, but my current class are quite noisy and I have now adopted the strategy of ringing hand bells and the children know that this means they have to stop and listen. If noise levels become too much I ring them. I then explain that they need to be quieter.

We have also tried using a mouse and a lion puppet to indicate quiet and loud sounds to the children.

You could try recording them when they are being noisy and play it back for them to listen to - shock tactics!!!!

Good luck!

Louise

Its a visual way of representing to the children how noisy they are being. You let them know which indicator is the level of noise which is fine and then they moderate their noisiness to bring down the indicator to this level if they are getting too noisy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)