Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Children

xD We have updated our policies to now say that children may not return to pre-school until 48 hours have elapsed from the last attack of sickness or diahrea (never could spell that word!).

We have obviously obtained this information from somewhere. but for the life of us we can not find what we have done with the piece of paper.

Is anyone else familair with this new legislation (it also says that children with conjunctivitis can not be excluded at all) or have we made it up!!!! :o I'm sure it must be somewhere, we have just had ofsted in and they didn't comment on it.

xD We have updated our policies to now say that children may not return to pre-school until 48 hours have elapsed from the last attack of sickness or diahrea (never could spell that word!).

We have obviously obtained this information from somewhere. but for the life of us we can not find what we have done with the piece of paper.

Is anyone else familair with this new legislation (it also says that children with conjunctivitis can not be excluded at all) or have we made it up!!!! :o I'm sure it must be somewhere, we have just had ofsted in and they didn't comment on it.

We also have these rules from our council. Conjunctivitis is excluded until the child has started treatment.

We like these rules and my little girl's private nursery also follow them.

Brenda,

In our area it is the council who have determined the 48hour exclusion rule but I don't know whether your local authority have something similar where you are. Also, there are 2 types of conjunctivitis and one of them is extremely contagious so I'm not sure why you wouldn't exclude children in this case. I always tell parents to take their child to the doctors to find out which type they have before returning to playgroup. I don't know if you have ever had it but it is very very uncomfortable and not something I would like to inflict on all the children in the group unnecessarily!

Thanks for that.

At least we know we didn't just dream it.

It does bothers me about the conjunctivitis though, because I know how contagious it can be. :o We were a little surprised at this information. My daughter had it every 6 weeks for the first 18 months of her life!

I think I shall continue to ask parents to get it checked first before allowing them back.

We use this when advising schools and nurseries.

managing_medicines_in_school_and_nursery.pdf

If you look at the things that can cause sickness - food poisoning, gastroenteritis etc, the recommended exclusion is 24 hours, but there is an additional note that younger children who have less control over personal hygiene may require longer - I'm guessing that 48 hours would be standard.

I'd use 48 as a basis for exclusion.

Thanks sarah, that is just what I was looking for.

Now have something to show the (in her words) "pissed of" parent to say why we sent her son home on wednesday! and she had to have him for the morning.

Don't we all just love parents :o

This has reminded me about some friends of ours whose son went to a day care nursery locally. He was sent home from the nursery on a Thursday afternoon because he was sick and told that he shouldn't be brought back for 48hours. However, when dad took him to nursery on the Monday morning the staff refused to let him leave him as he had only had 24hours off. They didn't count the weekend as the nursery was shut then. :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)