Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Led Play

Hi. :o

Can anyone help me decide when we should intervene in an activity?

We have a wee boy who selected the diggers for the sand. Good idea, put this in my plan! We then added pipes and tubes during the week as he was busy making underground tunnels. Again onto the plan! But now the child has had the diggers in the sand for 2 weeks and no-one else but him seems to want to play there. So do we change it? Or do we wait for someone else to say "I want ... in the sand." we have a similar situation in the home corner although one child mentionned that she was taking the doll to hospital so we could expand on this and change the theme. Being child led is great but surely 1 child cannot dictate an area?

Any advice welcome. We are trying hard to embrace this. xD

i would put a few different things nearby to introduce to what they are doing already so at least the other children if they want to play in that area have acesas to them. With any luck the children concerned will also start to use them :o

i would put a few different things nearby to introduce to what they are doing already so at least the other children if they want to play in that area have acesas to them. With any luck the children concerned will also start to use them :o

Thank you. :o Putting out other things will give the others a chance to choose in that area. There are diggers outside but he never plays with them! It will be interesting to see his reaction to this. We have possibly craeted a situation here. He's not the best at sharing. xD

So what are the differences? Bigger diggers outside and a sandpit that he needs to get into?

If you have sand outside too, do the other children access this?

If you are running with child led play, should you be deciding that the play has run its course and introduce something else?

Hi Rosie,

We tend to have 'starters' to an area which is added to as the children are playing. Once the interest has dwindled we completely change the focus here to rekindle the interest for everyone. Last year we had a little boy who was obsessed with the diggers at the sand tray and played here probably 40% of the time. However, throughout the year we had a variety of different things in the sand tray which changed the way that he played with the diggers. He liked smoothing out the sand and looking at the tracks the wheels made, we listened to the sound of the gravel, he made mounds and tunnels with the compost etc. :o

Hi. :o

Can anyone help me decide when we should intervene in an activity?

We have a wee boy who selected the diggers for the sand. Good idea, put this in my plan! We then added pipes and tubes during the week as he was busy making underground tunnels. Again onto the plan! But now the child has had the diggers in the sand for 2 weeks and no-one else but him seems to want to play there. So do we change it? Or do we wait for someone else to say "I want ... in the sand." we have a similar situation in the home corner although one child mentionned that she was taking the doll to hospital so we could expand on this and change the theme. Being child led is great but surely 1 child cannot dictate an area?

Any advice welcome. We are trying hard to embrace this. :(

Would be kind enough to show a sample of your 'child led plan'? We do a weekly plan which seems 'to simple' :( & planning has never been my hot spot!!. I just adapt it then after a while it doesn't quite seem right xD

thanks mrsb

Would be kind enough to show a sample of your 'child led plan'? We do a weekly plan which seems 'to simple' :( & planning has never been my hot spot!!. I just adapt it then after a while it doesn't quite seem right :o

thanks mrsb

If I was clever then yes i could show you, but I'm not sorry. xD

Our basic plan A3 has 5 columns: Activity, Resources, Adult role, Evaluation of Activity, Way forward through obs of individual children. The last column of the sheet feeds directly into the first of the next week. Written beside the activity are the learning outcomes. Ours are different in Aberdeenshire. We also do focussed activities and individual obs which also feed in. I inherited this from the teacher who covered my maternity leave and have been happy with it, although HMIE have just been in and I need to be more specific with the adult role ie who. There are only 2 of us so we will probably just put one of our names on. Is this any help? I'm new to all this :(

Ah, yes. The Aberdeenshire planning format. I don't actually use them but my Development Worker lynches me if I tell anyone in the County that. :o

So, what do you use? The Scottich Executive sheet? We have just had an inspection and they pointed out that i had to be very clever to know all the outcomes off by heart. :( I just put eg EP&S 9 on my plans. I hope they do not want us to write the whole outcome out each time. I do think it's confusing to have 2 different ways, surely we should all be the same? Hope the Curriculum for Excellence clears this up a bit! xD

I use my own format as I found the council ones didn't suit me. The council planning is very long winded and repetitive in my mind and unworkable if you actually do it properly. I still essentially cover everything I should but to my mind it is far superior and workable :(:o - in fact we were praised when we had our HMIe inspection for the content of our planning in particular. The Development Worker checked our planning just before the summer and said she thought it was confusing and probably took a lot of time. However, this isn't the case at all as we are all used to it. Or should I say were since I changed it again at the start of the term. xD

I use my own format as I found the council ones didn't suit me. The council planning is very long winded and repetitive in my mind and unworkable if you actually do it properly. I still essentially cover everything I should but to my mind it is far superior and workable :(:o - in fact we were praised when we had our HMIe inspection for the content of our planning in particular. The Development Worker checked our planning just before the summer and said she thought it was confusing and probably took a lot of time. However, this isn't the case at all as we are all used to it. Or should I say were since I changed it again at the start of the term. xD

Would you be willing to share your planning with us??? pretty please! :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)