Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help For Eal...............am I Being Thick?

Maybe I am having a realy thick moment but thought I would share on here in the hope that someone might be able to enlighten me!

My Head has asked me to support my EAL's by taking a picture of classroom objects adding a label and sticking it on the item. Surely if I am asking the child to sit on the chair it is just as easy to point to the chair as it is to point to the picture of the chair on the chair ( if you see what I mean). I could understand more if I was holding the picture and then asked so they could match the picture to the object. The three and four year olds are unable to read the label and althought I fully understand the need for a literacy rich environment I am unable to see how this proposal is going to help. Can someone help please?? Thanking you in advance!! :o

There are two reasons this might help. The child could use the label if they need something and don't know the word and pictures aid your visual learners. If you imagine you can't speak a language you use as many clues to understand what the person is saying to you. I do understand what you are saying but I have taught EAL children since 1995 and I find visuals are the best thing if you cant always use the actual object. Good luck

Thanks Gillie, so these should be stuck on the items? This is the bit that is confusing me. As I say I can understanding having the labels as a resource but not stuck on the item. This is all new to me! Thanks again for replying. :o

Yes, I agree - I understand the idea behind taking the pictures but not whay they need to be stuck on the actual object!

Welcome to the forum by the way! :o

Thanks Wolfie,

I have been a lurker for a while but bitten the bullet and posted. This is such a great forum with lots of fantastic ideas and support. I will of course do as asked with the pictures but I must admit I am still confused!! (Mind you it doesn't take a lot at the moment!)

some of the thinking behind it is similar to rebus symbols. That children absorb things in various ways and seeinga pic and linking it with a word helps develop the understanding. Also if you use it for areas ie creative you can show them the pic and ask them to find the area or on drawers so children can access resources independantly. It is labour intensive to make these things but once laminated I find they can be used more than once.

But why stick the picture on the actual object? :o I'm joining you in being confused Gillie!!

Perhaps the theory is that it can help children make the link between the object and the shape of the word. Environmental print, and all that.

Don't know a great deal about EAL, I'm afraid!

Maz

I think the idea is for the child to see 'words' & 'pictures' together so it's easier for them the make the connection (if you see what I mean)!! I'm not an EAL expert either but i can see the theory behind it :o We have pictures & words on items like door, window, chair, table etc.

just thought I'd add, when making the pictures, if possible take a photo of the chair for the label rather than use a picture from say clip art. I think as others have said, visual, with written and verbal gives the child 3 ways to absorb the information. To learn new vocabulary.

The real object is a different dimension to the photo.

When I made these for my preschool I made the label and also printed another A5 size picture of every object, including some pictures of resources, laminated them and put them into an A5 size folder. Pictures also included the sink, the loo, a ball, a puzzle etc, I used these for mat time so that a child when asked, What would you like to play with first"? could find the picture and show me as well as attempt to say the word. :o

Welcome to the forum. xD

Peggy

just thought I'd add, when making the pictures, if possible take a photo of the chair for the label rather than use a picture from say clip art. I think as others have said, visual, with written and verbal gives the child 3 ways to absorb the information. To learn new vocabulary.

The real object is a different dimension to the photo.

When I made these for my preschool I made the label and also printed another A5 size picture of every object, including some pictures of resources, laminated them and put them into an A5 size folder. Pictures also included the sink, the loo, a ball, a puzzle etc, I used these for mat time so that a child when asked, What would you like to play with first"? could find the picture and show me as well as attempt to say the word. :o

Welcome to the forum. xD

Peggy

Like the idea of putting them in a folder.......think this could really help with some of our children.

Thanks peggy for the idea....another job for me :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)