Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colours For Icing

One of our mums is coming in this week to bake biscuits with the children and has asked me about what colourings she can use in the icing. She is very keen to do the icing bit as she has bought a squeezy icing kit thing specially (not the pre-filled kind).

Do you have any suggestions for what we could use to colour the icing. I thought Ribena might make the icing quite red, and maybe chocolate powder for brown but what else??? The idea is to make clown faces (part of the circus theme the children are actively engaged in at the moment!)

I buy natural food colouring from the supermarket.

We don't tend to do this as an activity very much - so our colourings are only used for playdough and painting activities. Which brand do you use Marion?

Maz

That would be helpful Marion. I looked today but could only find natural flavourings, not colours. All the supercook colours appear to be full of E numbers....

Some E numbers are ok - the bad ones listed here state azo dye or synthetic in their descriptions... my youngest is very allergic to the azo and synthetic ones, but fine with natural plants eg e160 and e100

Watch for the names as well - sometimes they are listed instead of the numbers to confuse

http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e100-200.htm

Hope this helps

Sarahx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)