Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Please Help Mp Visiting

:) I will be meeting with my MP Mr Andrew Hunter who will be visiting my Kindergarten.....

please please please can you all email here with all your concerns and questions? then i will print off and give them to him and ask for feedback on all........... as he will be taking these to the House of Commons!!! to share with others!!! and perhaps we then can get some concrete advice!! or even answers!!

Many thanks Hotgoss for giving me the push to do something about all our concerns with our Early Years profession

julia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How spooky is that I was only thinking of you yesterday and wondering if he had been to visit.

I would like to know how some people with NNEBS taken only a few years after me are seen to be qualified and equivalent to NVQ 3 and able to hold supervisory roles and have not topped up in all the areas that I have been told to. Whereas I cannot seem to find out what courses are acceptable as top ups and my employer will only see mine as a level 2 until told otherwise by the department for education.

Why when I ring OFSTED am I told to do APEL but the department for education say I don't need to.

Why do CACHE tell me I don't need to do another level 3 qualification but when I ring them do they advise me to do 'another level 3 qualification'

Why can we employ younger people who have the relevant level 3 qualifications but although they are good at the job they do not have the experience to run the session. Yet my 'old ' qualification and 20 years experience are seen as no good to be classed as a level 3.

I have already sent you an e.mail asking questions so have re sent it in case you have no longer got it.

When is he coming ???

Feel free to mention my website and tell him we want answers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have waited long enough and I will carry on campaigning until I get results.

Just in case you've forgotten my website address is

www.freewebs.com/fedupnnebs

I have had over 150 hits on it in two weeks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also off the subject of qualifications.

There is too much paperwork involved in early years.

Children and pre-school practioners are missing out on lots of fun experiences because of the amount of paperwork.

The play has gone out of playgroup which is such a shame.

Children spend years at school let them have some fun while they're at pre-school !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The very children that are supposed to have gained from the introduction of early learning goals etc are in fact losing out because everything is too planned and analysised too much.

There are lots of excellent child care workers out there who are leaving the profession because of the pressure put on them because of the huge amount of paperwork involved , in some cases we are doing the same job as a reception teacher for not much more than the minimum wage.

It is about time it is realised what an important job we do and that we deserve recognition.

Years ago children spent a few hours playing with their friends at playgroup now it has changed beyond recognition. Unfortunatly no one seems to have realised that our job has changed beyond recognition too.

:D Thanks guys keep them coming because you never know what might happen after this!!???

Cheers Hotgoss will definately mention your website, I will print some emails off if thats ok with everyone?

Will let everyone know what the out come will be he might even ask some of us to perhaps meet with the odd bods from Education etc, i will definately ask him anyway if that could be arrange so that we could ask face to face!!!! our questions and if this does come up.........my next question will be is anyone interested in representing us ?

Thanks again.........but please keep your questions coming...........

julia

thanks for your thoughts hotgoss

I would be interested in meeting with anybody to air our concerns as long as I've got someone to hold my hand !!!!!!!!!!!! lol

:o I'll be there.............. I have lobbed before at the House of Commons, this is where i met Andrew Hunter, and i do think he really is interested in where we are coming from, but i feel more grown up and with a push!!! this time to do more about these continious concerns of the Early Years Profession

julia

Could you please ask the question why we are only funded for 33 weeks of the year? In order to meet the needs of parents we open the same term times as schools and yet have a shortfall of 5/6 weeks. I have asked this question of my LEA and MP but nobody seems to be able to give me an answer. Perhaps he would be able to find out???

Thanks

Linda

Guest rhodessj

Hi

On the subject of 33week funding (versus 38 weeks opening) - our setting is in a disadvantaged area and were fortunate enough to be receiving the funding at 3years before most other areas (although it has now been rolled out nationally); however, 2years running the Government has pushed up the minimum wage by 8pc and our rent has recently inreased by 100pc (albeit we were paying a ridiculously out of date rent before that); meaning that even with the early funding for our full register we are struggling to make ends meet...

Our staff are demanding more money (and rightly) for the ever more demanding role that we ask of them, but the funding fails to cover the costs. We're only managing to pay between £4.90 and £5.90 per hour for our staff which is pathetic. Add to that, that we can only offer wages for 42 weeks per year (including the holiday pay) - its no wonder all the practitioners are becoming disillusioned.

If the Government could be pushed to at least pay the funding for the full 38 weeks, we might be in with a chance of increasing salaries to reflect the fact that the job has changed beyond recognition over the last 12years.

:o