Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question Trouble!

Help! i am getting ready for my first interview for a teaching job in a reception class and would be grateful if anyone had any ideas of the possible Qs they may ask? I have found a few on the net, but not really early years specific. Please HELP! (Also what is a good thing i should ask at the end of the interview???)

Eek.

How to second guess the interviewer!?

I presume from what you say that you have been invited to interview?

If so then you must have already made a good impression with you letter of application/ supporting statement.

Do you have a person spec. Can you fulfil all that or would you need support. You could ask about NQT induction. Show you are keen, remember what you wrote down and be prepared to talk about that.

If you are an NQT, which I presume, you will probably be asked about your experiences so far. Certainly you should draw on them as best you can to answer any specifics. I guees you need to be well clued up about the foundation Stage Curriculum and the Profile, and observation as a tool of assessment. You might be asked about classroom organisation and management, certainly behaviour management interaction with parents, working in a team/ leading a classroom team. Experience of SEN.

Work out your own ethos, ie importance of play etc and be confident.

Questions afterwards are always the difficult one for me as I usually find that they've covered it anyway but if you haven't had a chance get al ook round the school. If you have then you could ask about something you've seen. Something may spring to mind during the interview or perhaps someone else can help?

A tip I had given to me as a student was always try and interact with the children when you visit, if school is in progress of course!

Be yourself but show innitiative ifgiven the chance, you never know when someone is watching. ( and that sounds scary but isn't meant to be!)

Good luck. let us know how it goes. :D

Hi there alysha! :D

Susan's last piece of advice was solid gold!!

At my setting, staff are often asked how prospective employees seemed, albeit informally. From personal experience, in the past I have been shown around as a candidate, being left to 'mingle' for a while, later being told that staff in the room(s) had relayed 'positive impressions' of me!

Good luck! :o

Sue :D

Susan and Sue's answers just about cover it, I think :D

The only thing I can add is something along the lines of a favourite area of the curriculum or a particular curriculum strength you could offer to the school. Very often, each member of staff is required to be responsible for something, eg PE, RE, Music, Netball after school, art and craft club, etc etc. Do you have a particular area of expertise? I'm sure you wouldn't be required to take on something immediately, but if you could show you would be willing to, after you've settled in, it would add another string to your bow :)

As for questions, how about asking what training you would be permitted to attend? That always sounds like you are motivated to improve your practice, and are committed to being a lifelong learner!

I was in your position this time last year and it is nerve wracking :o , but you sound like you will be well-prepared and of course, they will have already seen your poetntial with your application form but I have 2 tips for you.

Tip 1: Make yourself a portfolio of photos of displays, work you have done with the children, after school clubs, play schemes etc. and put them into a folder with pockets. Make sure it is labelled throughout in case you have to leave it (which I did!). You can also refer to it during the interview, eg. if they ask you what has been your proudest achievement etc.

Tip 2: Don't be afraid to take your time in answering their questions and if you haven't got a clue how to answer a question, ask them exactly what they mean or say you are not sure. Quite often it is the way the question is asked that makes you unsure and if they give you a lead it will remind you what they want to hear and you'll be away!

GOOD LUCK...let us know how it goes!

Shelley

Hi everyone! thanks so much for your tips, thanks for the idea of putting labels in my portfolio Shelley! By the way how long was your interview and did they ask you Q's on IEP's and the code of practice? Thanks again, not long now, im feeling ill already!!!!!.xxx

good luck Alesha.

I see you are a student so assume this is for NQT so ask about induction and other opps as Helen suggests. As an NQT I don't think you should be required to lead a curriculum area but you could show interest.

Is the job in SEN? IEPS etc will normally be the responsability of the Senco with the input from you as class teacher.

Alysha,

I really wish I could offer you more but the advice has been excellent. :) I just echo Shelley saying take your time and think about your answers. Don't be afraid to leave a short silence whilst you consider what you want to say. But more importantly if you haven't got a clue say so!! Remember your interviewers are human and know that nerves play a big part and they should be sympathetic to this! :o Good luck!! :D

Hi, I'm an NQT in my first post. My interview seems like it was ages ago!

Some of the questions that I was asked included;

- explain a good lesson you have taught and what aspects of it were effective?

- discuss a poor lesson that you taught and how would you teach it differently again to ensure that the lesson was successful?

- how would you set up and arrange your reception class?

- what strengths you do possess? (mention specalist subjects)

- what areas would you need support and lack confidence?

- how would you track progression?

- how could ICT benefit your teaching?

When asking questions at the end possibly ask about professional development, what supprt you would be given?

That's about all I can remember at the mo, it's a start anyway. Hope this helps. Goodluck

Just want to say a huge thankyou to everyone who contributed their questions and advice. My interview is today so its not long now! Thanks so much!X :D

HI! Just letting you know that i got the job!!! I am so excited and can't wait to september! I cant believe im going to have my own class! Thanks again everyone!!X

Congratulations Alysha :D It's always nice to hear someone's great new.

You'll find this site and the welcoming people really useful as you prepare for your new job and once you start work.

Good luck,

Harricroft.

Aww! thanks sooo much for all the warm wishes! Susan: They asked me about my classroom (what would it be like), how i would reach the more able child, my curriculum strengths, what i can offer the school, how can i help to raise the standards in the school, why i want to do this, and of course--if i had any Q's! x :D

Congratulations! :o

Sorry I didn't reply to your questions, have been very busy! It is such an exciting time and September will come very quickly. Make sure you concentrate on your exams, you have the whole summer to get yourself ready! This forum is fantastic and you will find it a great source of support. Good luck with the end of your degree too!

Shelley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)