Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opening A New Nursery

hi everyone,

i am working with a colleague of mine to open our own nursery. we are hoping to do this by bulding our own rather than converting a building. any tips?

Don't do it only joking you can get some very good publications on setting up a nursery NDNA do them and so do the PLA obviously Ofsted for the day care standards. Our local early years are very helpful have you done sustainability research? I have some questionnaires we sent out to parents before setting up our nursery to gage what sort of need there was for childcare in the area . Good Luck

I always think the child height windows are cool! and some really low so as when they lay down or sit they can still see outside!

What a great adventure, best of luck!

Speak to your Early Years team if you haven't done so already.

They will have up to date data on sufficiency and sustainability figures i.e. is there demand, what are existing childcare services in the area etc.

If they are able to support you, they should appoint a development officer (or similar) who will be able to help you with providers/suppliers, layout, utilities etc, but I doubt that there is any funding available as it is all geared towards Extended Schools at the moment.

For finer details - try and keep neutral colours on the floor and walls and ensure that the flooring is appropriate to use i.e. carpet for book corner and floor play, lino for wet/messy area and no laminate floor in the baby room where the children are learning to walk, unless you want lots of 'baby bambis' ice-skating everywhere!!

Brave ladies. My only tip is to do your research thoroughly. Not about fitting out your nursery but more about is there a need, will it be sustainable if you have building costs, are there plans for more children's centres, is there a local need, are there staffing shortages in your area, what are local schools planning to do re providing nursery places, are all other nurseries in your area full etc. etc. It must be easy to get carried away with the fun stuff but it really is a tough area to get itno and not one that you will make a lot of money from! Sorry if you have been through all this already.

I just want to echo what Chill has said - be 100% certain that there is a real need for a new nursery and that you will be sustainable. There are so many settings struggling with sustainability issues nowadays.

Is it advice on the actual building work you are after? I would much prefer to do it this way rather than refurbishment but I am in agreement with everyone else. Be very very sure of this before you do it. And make sure you are 110% committed and financially viable before even thinking about starting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)