Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Baby Has Gone!

Guest Wolfie

A very emotional day today....we've just dropped our son off at Uni for the first time and driven home to a very quiet house! It's been a horrible week, I haven't been able to sleep, concentrate....anything! He couldn't have made it easier for us, he's so excited about the whole thing and very positive - but it's still been an incredibly hard "end of an era" to deal with. Lots of alcohol for us both tonight I think - at least we've still got another one at home (who says she's knocking down the wall between their bedrooms tonight so that she can have a bigger room)!

Anyone else going through the same thing? :o

I do sympathise Wolfie honest BUT I have had one go then come back then another go and he's still there!Then another who's never in but does bed down here!! :( AND I CANT WAIT TIL THEY GO!!! xD:o However i have friends going through the same as you and send you virtual hugs lots of chocolate and a bottle of wine!!! :(

andrea

The memory is distant for me when our brood left the nest, Ellis 23 yrs went to live with a girlfriend but visited often, Cheryl lived nearby and worked with me every day, Tony joined the army.

Our 'empty nest' syndrome resulted in hubby and I becoming Foster parents, we now have a 'new' family of four children age range 4 - 12 yrs, and guess what, Ellis came back home too, seems family is for life and girlfriends come and go. :o:(

We miss Tony the most who now has a family of 3 children, so although we look forward to his visits it does get quite crowded.

I do empathise though, the 'emptiness' of a quiet house does take some getting used to, have a few drinks tonight then enjoy your hangover 'in peace' xD I didn't realise how lucky I was to have hubby all to myself when the house became empty, until now of course. :( Once you get used to it, you make the most of it.

Peggy

Hi Wolfie - he made it then! Last time I spoke to you you were not sure what was happening after getting his results. I am sure he will be fine and before long you will find it strange when he comes back again!

Sue

Not sure what happened then? Hopefully some clever person will delete the previous post with the mistakes in???!!

Well, mine has always imagined she was going now, but it was not to be..... and she's going to go next year now. She's a lost soul cos all her friends are going at the moment and she's realised that she's got to get a job or something. Not much fun in our house either. She's driving us all bonkers!

I can remember it well when we left our eldest at uni for the first time, also when he phoned me at 6.30 am one day telling me that he didn't feel well. What could I do at over 300 miles away? But it does get better. Now we are the ones that have moved away and I look forward to them coming to spend weekends with us.

I empathise Wolfie. I hated it when my eldest went 2 years ago, and just as I got to used to it, he came home again for a holiday although he was home most weekends for a while!

He's on a placement this year and living at home which after his seizure this summer is a great relief. Next September may very well see son 2 disappearing to uni somewhere and I cant imagine how I am going to feel about that.

Hope you feel stronger soon.

I remember it well! Funnily enough though, I didn't lie awake in bed at 3 am waiting for him to come home at the weekend (even though I knew he would be out at uni!)

It does get easier ... especially if he enjoys uni life. It really is a fantastic social opportunity for them - and hopefully academically rewarding too :o .

Love Harricroft xx

Thank you all so much - it's good to know other people know what I am feeling! An empty wine bottle later and I'm feeling a little bit better now. I'm looking forward to having a better night's sleep tonight...for the first time for weeks! And yes, Harricroft, I won't miss lying awake at 3.00am waiting for him to come in after a night out with his mates! He...and my OH...have never understood why I feel the need to stay awake until he's in so it must be a Mum thing mustn't it?! :o

Oh I feel for you, I dread it already and I still have time on my hands. My eldest daughter is 16, twin girls are 13, next daughter is 10 and my son is 6 - my plan is that at least one may be home with us forever :o

Aww it must be hard. I remember my mum didn't want to let me go when I went to uni. She wanted to help me unpack everything in halls but my dad pulled her away saying I was quite capable of doing that myself!

Dad later told me that she cried all the way home, which in turn made me cry and still does!

My brother still lives at home but in the last few years he's hardly been there! He's always at work, the gym or his girlfriend's house!

I do miss home and often wish I lived closer but that's just not possible at the moment. I do only live an hour away though so I do visit when I can.

I really empathise too! My daughter left 2 years ago and I really missed her - the house seemed so empty despite having three other children here! You do get used to it though. My son will be going next year which will be another big wrench, but I'm not thinking about that at the moment! :o

Good grief, I'm an awful, awful mother then. :(

I have told both the boys since they were little that they have to leave home, its the law, only to be told, 'we'll never leave you mom, we're going to stay with you for ever'. Lovely sentiment but actually you can bugger off.

I dont like dirty washing lurking under beds and in strange nooks and crannys, I dont like finding glasses under your beds with mould growing, I dont like giving up my TV so you can play XBOX, I dont like picking up towels and random items all over the house. I dont like driving in my pyjamers and slippers in the night to pick you up because you've run out of money or its a long way to walk.

I dont like the thought of being without them actually. :o

You have my sympathy Wolfie. xD

Thanks Rea for making me smile - great post :(

I will admit the reason i can be like this is as farmers my boys will never be very far away! Im sure if i was faced with them going a distance i would be different :o

And incidently the middle son who is living elsewhere at the moment (but does work on the farm) is now called the 'favourite one' by his brothers!!!!! xD

Today I've found a ketchup-encrusted plate with a bit of dried and slightly mouldy pizza crust on it under his bed and looked at it lovingly.........! I'M GOING MAD!!!!!!!!!! :o