Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funny Bones

Hi there, whilst enjoying whats left of my ppa time!!! just wondering if anyone has any cool fab, new and exciting ideas to use with the book, 'funny bones.' We start planning our new topic next week, titled ' Whats inside?' I hope to look at different feelings and things that make us scared, happy etc. Also good topic for looking at whats inside our body. So thought funny bones was alovely introduction. I have a mixed yr/y1 class and did spend time last year making skeleton pics with art straws, chalk etc on black paper so would really love to do something different? maybe scary sounds to match the story or make a giant skeleton as a whole class???!! if anyone has any nice ideas would love to hear from you.

many thanks

:o

There's another thread running at the moment about Funnybones -from someone who has got Ofsted coming in for the day to look at Science. Stick in "Ofsted" under Search and it should come up!

we give the children a body cut out of black sugar paper and after lots of discussion about our bones and photos of skeletons etc they are have white paper pipe cleaners and scissors and glue and do skeleton pictures which are very effective and white chalk to do eye holes.

I downloaded the funnnybones skeleton from sparkle box. I enlarged it on the photocopier, backed it onto card and laminated it. We've got a large die with plastic envelopes... the type you can slip numbers into. I put a smaller version of each skeleton part e.g skull/leg bone/ ribs etc into each envelope on the die and then we played a game of beetle drive or funnybones drive and made up the skeleton from what we rolled on the die. This we did with out nursery class and they loved it.. very interactive and physical. We even played against another group in the nursery and had a race to see who could complete the skeleton first.

Another idea have the children work in pairs to draw around whole body and then work together to lable the parts.

Oh I must remember those ideas, apple. How lovely. Thanks.

The game would also be good for independent activities once the children knew what to do.

I made a simple circuit game using a body outline and labels with pocket torches. My technical advisor (husband by another name!) helped with the design.

Hi there,

Booktime have just given us some wonderful book packs to give to every child in our Reception Class. We had these last year and the featured book was Hairy Maclary - this year it was Funnybones.

I hope I am not contravening any copyright - but here are some of their activity ideas:

Finger puppets and shadow puppets

Skeleton figures with moveable joints

Skeleton jigsaw

Drawing a map of the skeleton's journey - talking about our own journeys to school

Singing the song "Dry Bones"

Funny bones mask

Funny bones collage

Design and make a car for Funnybones

You could also perhaps look on their website (www.booktime.pearson.com) - don't know if it will be of any use, just a thought.

I have also used the Funnybone downloads from Sparkle - children loved them.

Good luck - have fun! :o

We made skeletons out of natural materials after going on a hunt round school to see what we could find that was skeleton like! The kids loved and we had some fab skeletons made from, sticks and twigs etc they did look a bit Blair Witch like when we hung them up tho that was the only problem for us adults!! (if you've seen the film you'll know what i mean!)

Catherine

We are doing this topic at the moment.

My teaching partner suggested this and it worked really well ...

we cut a black bag up, gining it a hole for the head and arms to get through. Then with white paper, we cut some bone shapes. THe children wear the bag (obviously lots of supervision) and the children tick the bones on the bag (while another child is wearing it). The children had lots of fun, and it brought out alot of discussion. We also was lucky enough to have a small scale model skeleton to help the children with this.

Also with Halloween coming up there are alot of skeleton things about. Asda are selling a child's skeleton costume 3-5yrs for £5 at the moment.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lovely dance sequence on the film 'The Corpse Bride' with skeletons dancing and singing. The children loved it and it inspired them when making their own skeleton pictures and in P.E. We have also just recieved the booktime book packs - fantastic.

Munch

Just looked on YouTube and if you type Skeleton Dance as a search there is and Old black and white Disney amination of skeletons dancing and if you type in FunnyBones the Funnybones - 'Things that go bump in the night' cartoon is on there too!

Thank you so much for the Funnybones link- what a great resource!

I am now going to try to get hold of the Funnybones book pack

Carmad

Me again - I knew I was supposed to add something else

We bought some halloween skeletons from Poundland and displayed them around the classroom. they are almost life size so really caught the children's imagination

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)