Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Full-time Children's Centre Teacher Post

Guest Wolfie

Is anyone out there employed as a Children's Centre Teacher full-time? I keep hearing rumours that my 0.5 post is going to be increased to full-time but I haven't come across any full-time posts anywhere else?

Ooops, sorry, I forgot about you...(how could I??!).....do all the Children's Centres in your area employ their teachers full-time? In our area, all the Children's Centres say they will NEVER be able to afford a full-time post!

Our LA's aim is to put a full time teacher in every children's centre - part of their remit is to deliver training for the LA and offer preschool support to the children's centre cluster.

However, recruitment is a bit of an issue!

Hi Wolfie,

Think we've talked on TES website nothing much happening over there so thought i'd join fsf.

I am full time as are all the teachers in my county's children's centres.

we're all employed on leadership scale 1-5 with teachers pay and conditions. Have flexi time if I work over 37hrs and time off if I put on evening training or visit childminders after work hrs. Started in May and have just selected private provider for day care nursery which we are hoping will be up and running after chiristmas. Two Local Phase two's are comming on board under our umbrella so am currently designing community rooms for both centres. Am beginning to make contact with local schools and some playgroups but there's so much to fit in! Have very little birth to three experience but am learning fast.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a promise to have a full time teacher in each Children's Centre by a certain date.

Our Children's Centre is due to open next year but won't be employing a teacher can anyone explain how this works without me hijacking Wolfie's post.

Feel free to hijack Marion - I don't mind! A lot of Children's Centres around me are trying NOT to employ a teacher but my understanding is that they can't be designated a Children's Centre UNLESS a teacher is employed. I have been told that it is very unlikely my post will ever become full-time, there isn't enough money!

I'm doing 0.7 in a CC at the moment on a temporary basis until Christmas. There is also a full time teacher. The Head of Centre is a qualified teacher.

We have children from birth until they join a school Reception class. We also do wrap around.

I knew I had read it somewhere Wolfie

"Staffing early years provision

Currently, all children’s centres offering early years provision must have a minimum 0.5 of a qualified teacher involved in planning and delivering the service before designation. Centres should aim to increase this to be a full time post within 18 months."

http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0002369.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)