Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Intial Assessments

Hello, I have just started out as an NQT in a reception class. I need to do intial assessment with the children but I am confused by what evidence to collect at this stage - i have done write your name, going to do number recogniton and sound recogniton. Am I on the right tracks? I spent last week playing with the children and this week trying to do assessments, with the observations being very thin! Any ideas for intial assessments and guidance on doing intial obseravtions would be grateful as I am feeling like I am behind with everthing, i dont think I will be starting proper lessons next week!

Thank you

:o

Hi Spaniellover and welcome

I may be too tired to make too much sense but you sound desperate. Dont panic. Hopefully you are well supported in school and have a mentor or another FS teacher to talk to and help.

Your initial assessments sound fine and the work the children have done is the evidence, whether that be on paper or in books.

You need at this satge to concentrate on establishing your rules and routines. Make sure the children are secure in understanding your expectations---how to sit on the carpet, line up, tidy up, get their coats etc etc. That is PSE and needs to be in place before other learning can take place successfully. Make some notes about how the children are settling, their self help skills and you will soon have more evidence.

Play some circle games encouraging children to interact with one another. They need to know each others names and may not do that. Talk about sharing etc and let the children talk to you. Do they talk in sentences, phrases, non verbal communication etc. More evidence and all things that are relevant to you as their teacher to plan their next steps in learning.

Paint a picture, what do they paint? Can they name colours?

Sing some songs? Can they sing alone, do they join in finger games and rhymes particularly those they know already?

Hope that helps a little. Let me know if I can help more.

Good luck and have fun.

I know you've probably done this already...have you checked to make sure there isn't a basline assessment system already in use in your school/authority? Ot maybe one of the early years advisors attached to your school could give you some pointers or might have some systems that are recommended? Don't spend time devising something of your own when it might already be in existence! :o

Some assessments we do include a cutting activity, I read a story and ask question to see who can respond and then see who can retell the story. I ask the children to draw a self portrait and a piece of writing, theres an induction booklet on www.sparklebox.xo.uk if thats any help.

Thank you for your help everyone. I just am confused by everything at the moment - feel like nothing is properly in place yet and intital assessments are not done so can not start phonics and numeracy untill week after next! Am I really behind? Sorry, just worrying majorly at the moment!

Dont worry too much, this is only the second week of term and you cant do everything at once. Settling and routines are most important at this stage, invest the time in them and you will get quality time with the children for the rest of the year, neglect it and you will have constant battle.

I was told only last year term at moderation to spend 7 weeks on initial assessments and to start teaching within that time as that too would indicate where the children were.

Look at Abacus maths for FS1 ideas (and FS2) available on hamiltontust or at myprimary for simple assessment and teaching and do some phase 1 phonics.

Have fun.

Hello, sorry to be a pain again! Getting there with the intial assesments now - thanks for the help everyone! im now confused by intial obs. I have been doing obs incidentally on behaviour, self help, sharing how they play etc all all the children. Do I need to do intial assesments for all the areas within the first few weeks? I keep getting told different things - I thought the first few weeks was for PSED and any other incidental obs for the other areas. Am I doing this right? is there a tried and trusted method for observations that someone would kindly share with me - i.e. how often etc.

Sorry to be a stress head

Thank you in advance

Hello, sorry to be a pain again! Getting there with the intial assesments now - thanks for the help everyone! im now confused by intial obs. I have been doing obs incidentally on behaviour, self help, sharing how they play etc all all the children. Do I need to do intial assesments for all the areas within the first few weeks? I keep getting told different things - I thought the first few weeks was for PSED and any other incidental obs for the other areas. Am I doing this right? is there a tried and trusted method for observations that someone would kindly share with me - i.e. how often etc.

Sorry to be a stress head

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

You sound so worried and confused, just had to reply (you sound just like me). If you go to Forum Index - Observation, Assessment and Planning, then look through the Topics you will find mine which I posted recently "Organising Observations". You will find an excellent reply from Ariel which may be of some use to you.

You are not a stess head - you simply want to do the right thing and because there are so many mixed messages coming at you from all directions you end up not knowing which way to turn. Remember, the most important thing is the children's happiness at the moment. They need to feel safe and secure with you and their new surroundings, and you need to establish your own routines and codes of behaviour. Only then, will you be able to begin formal "teaching" and if you have got it right in these first few weeks, the children will make progress. Remember, the little boys and girls in your care are very special and need to be treated with the upmost care. Please try not to worry, I am sure that the majority of Reception Teachers are feeling just the same as you are.

Hope I've been of some help.

Centurians thank you so much! It finally is begining to make sense! I have not had a clue what I am supposed to be looking for at the moment - its different to know what is significant for the child when you dont know them yet so I have just been watching the kids playing and seeing how they interact at the moment as well as trying to do baselines! I still ahvent started 'formal' learning, hopefully by next week i can start these! Just feel confused by the way the school ahve told me to do obs (on all 6 areas in the first few weeks?) to how I was told to do it on teacher training (i.e. planned and incidental) - but hard to do planned obs to start with on all six areas when not started teaching yet - I hope I am doing this right!

Thank you for the advice

Hi Spaniellover,

Have you looked at any of the Vicky Hutchins Books? They are really easy to read and will help to put observations into perspective but please remember to keep your work load manageable, it so easy to drown under the paperwork.

There is no requirement to keep individual records of achievement. Check the back of the profile handbook!

Last year I kept a folder with every point of the profile on a separate sheet( someone has kindly donated those here somewhere!) and behind each point I put my records of activities with the children and sometimes work samples that would illustrate the point had been met. I did very few long narrative obs as I did not find those helped me to plan next steps for the children. The LEA moderator was more than happy that I knew my children and that my profiles were secure.

It will all fall into place but you will need to develop a system that works for you.

Good luck.

Hi Spaniellover,

Have you looked at any of the Vicky Hutchins Books? They are really easy to read and will help to put observations into perspective but please remember to keep your work load manageable, it so easy to drown under the paperwork.

There is no requirement to keep individual records of achievement. Check the back of the profile handbook!

Last year I kept a folder with every point of the profile on a separate sheet( someone has kindly donated those here somewhere!) and behind each point I put my records of activities with the children and sometimes work samples that would illustrate the point had been met. I did very few long narrative obs as I did not find those helped me to plan next steps for the children. The LEA moderator was more than happy that I knew my children and that my profiles were secure.

It will all fall into place but you will need to develop a system that works for you.

Good luck.

thank you susan - feel very tired and nnoyed at myself at the moment - feel like I am not getting anywhere - so many people are telling me different things tht I feel insecure with my skills. I really hope it falls into place becuase at the moment I feel that I am banging my head against a brick wall. Sorry to sound sorry for myself, im sure every NQT feels the same.

Try not to worry as it will all become easier as time goes on. Your obs dont need to be detailed, they can be in the form of photos or just a post it note. Reception is very daunting when you first come in. Who is supposed to be supporting you? What is your mentor doing?

There will be light at the end of the tunnel i promise

snap ecorri, I was thinking the same. Spaniellover, do you have a year group partner,and an NQT mentor, they should be supporting you with all of these things. Are you getting you NQT time? Do you have any in class support who can also help you with observations.

The advice her is very good, but sometimes we are pulled in different directions regardless of what we feel is 'right'. But as an NQT you should be getting support and although feeling overwhelmed is pretty normal, do talk to your mentor/Head about how you are feeling.

And I would agree with Susan, it is very important to have time out too.

[Hi Spaniellover,

Hope NQT life is improving (I remember it well, and personally had very little support, so hope you are doing better!)

Just a thought, but did the children in your class who had been to preschool etc not arrive with some kind of developmental record? Have you involved their parents at all in plotting their development? This could be really helpful - they know their children better than anyone after all!

Good luck!

quote name='mundia' date='Sep 27 2007, 20:45' post='106263]

snap ecorri, I was thinking the same. Spaniellover, do you have a year group partner,and an NQT mentor, they should be supporting you with all of these things. Are you getting you NQT time? Do you have any in class support who can also help you with observations.

The advice her is very good, but sometimes we are pulled in different directions regardless of what we feel is 'right'. But as an NQT you should be getting support and although feeling overwhelmed is pretty normal, do talk to your mentor/Head about how you are feeling.

And I would agree with Susan, it is very important to have time out too.

Hello,

I have not been given any records from nursery - I have asked several times! I have not seen my mentor yet - keep asking who it is but no help! I am persoanlly bricking it to be honest! Feel like its just me feeling like this. I suppose at the end of the day I can only do what I think is right and if its not, I should have been told otherwise, its not as if I havent asked.

Thanks for everybodies help

P.s. I would love to envlove the parents but all my class are EAL and their parents speak little English - its very hard to know what to do for the best.

SL

• 11 months later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE
Hello,

I have not been given any records from nursery - I have asked several times! I have not seen my mentor yet - keep asking who it is but no help! I am persoanlly bricking it to be honest! Feel like its just me feeling like this. I suppose at the end of the day I can only do what I think is right and if its not, I should have been told otherwise, its not as if I havent asked.

Thanks for everybodies help

P.s. I would love to envlove the parents but all my class are EAL and their parents speak little English - its very hard to know what to do for the best.

SL

You sound just like me! I am an NQT in part time job share role in a Reception class and I have to agree it is hard - but dont panic. You seem to be on the right track as I too baseline children and just concentrating on PSED stuff at the moment. My job share is very good and has given me some tick sheets - basically they include draw and write name, number recog to 10, letter/sound recog, counting by rote, one to one, give me 3, 6 and 10 from a pile. Our children are painting self portraits and writing their name for a chole class display. We did get our nursery and pre-school stuff but my job share says she doesn't always believe what they say!We also did home visits so at least I recognise some of the children! Its all about keeping the children happy, smiling, singing and getting the parents on your side to start with. Keep going ... if you were doing anything wrong you would know about it by now :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i am a TA in a foundation unit. Do you not use the foundation stage profile, there are various assessment packages about. We have just had to start using ASPECTS which we as a team are not overly keen on.

We also use the SEAL package, like previous replies have said you should be getting lots of support and have a mentor who could help you.

Let us know how you get on, we also have a lot of EAL children and parents so i do understand your worries.

good luck

You sound just like me! I am an NQT in part time job share role in a Reception class and I have to agree it is hard - but dont panic. You seem to be on the right track as I too baseline children and just concentrating on PSED stuff at the moment. My job share is very good and has given me some tick sheets - basically they include draw and write name, number recog to 10, letter/sound recog, counting by rote, one to one, give me 3, 6 and 10 from a pile. Our children are painting self portraits and writing their name for a chole class display. We did get our nursery and pre-school stuff but my job share says she doesn't always believe what they say!We also did home visits so at least I recognise some of the children! Its all about keeping the children happy, smiling, singing and getting the parents on your side to start with. Keep going ... if you were doing anything wrong you would know about it by now :)

Hi as an F1 practioner please dont dismiss what we say about children we do our best. I think often nursery staff get a slating but you have to remember that the children have a 6week break, then enter a new setting with unfamiliar staff and it takes time for them to readjust so just a thought.

Hi, Im a ATA in a foundation unit and we use the first three scale points on the new FSP as our baseline assessment criteria. We have 6 weeks in which to complete these assessments as well as using this time for PSE and getting to know the childrens interests. Hope this helps!! :oxD

Sorry forgot to say that all the assessments are done by observing the children whilst in a purely play situation- this is quite tricky for some points but manageable. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)