Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dressing Up Clothes

I want to make some general purpose dressing up clothes to stimulate role play.

I have been thinking about some simple tabards in a variety of fabrics and perhaps some cloaks.

I have an old ELC police tabard I could use as a pattern and I think a length of material with a gathered neckline should work as a cloak. Has anyone done something like this or do you have any other ideas that could work?

I have access to a sewing machine but am not clever enough to make patterns for anything! As this will be a self financed project I want to keep costs down and I cant find any commercial patterns that appeal anyway.

Hi Susan

That sounds like a great idea, the tabard idea would work well as its easier for the children to use. I woulnt worry too much about having them "look" like dressing up clothes, i think children are just as happy with different colours where they can use their imagination.

You could just draw or sew little motifs on to represent police,fire etc Hope it goes well

One of the most successful home-made role play costumes we ever had was when one of our ladies sewed a hair scrunchie at two corners of a piece of silky coloured fabric for the children to pretend they were butterflies. Was a bit shortlived, but they really enjoyed it at the time.

Sounds like you could have the beginnings of a business here, Susan - different and unusual dressing up clothes are always in demand...

Good luck

Maz

I looked in the NES Arnold catalogue and saw all the lovely ethnic dressng up clothes. But oh my god how much do they cost!

So off I went to the local charity shop, found some lovely ethnic print quilt covers. Showed the pictures to my mother-in-law, who promptly set up a sweat shop in her spare room and set about making me all these lovely clothes and all for a fraction of the price. We also had a factory near by (now closed) that used to salvage clothes, they used to sell adult size sari's for £1 each so I bought loads of them. They are usesful for all sorts of things.

The kids love them.

Our local SENCO also visits from time to time, she has a daughter sligthly older than our children and she donates us all of her daughters dressing up clothes to us.

Why not visit your local material shop and see if they will donate any samples to you. Our local curtain shop lets people have the window dressing for free when they change them.

A lot of our dressing up clothes are donated, car boots, charity shops etc. A mum gave us a big bag of material last term which is going to be turned into sari's.....my friends mum is a whizz on the sewing machine (luckily for me!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)