Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Star Rewards- How Do You Feel?

I would love to share your views on how appropriate star sharts are for the under threes, I feel that putting a star alongside the childs name is not appropriate and not effective for good behaviour. Instant praise would be the obbviors answer to me with a lovely smile and verbal praise.

Does anyone have other coments or other more age appropriate ways for rewarding children?

Thanks for your time

Sunshine :o

Hi sunshine, I have deleted your duplicate post. Do you really want this in the dedicated reception area as you are talking under threes?

I have used star charts with reception for conforming to class rules etc and with other motivational rewards. Seemed to work for them although it can be very difficult to catch those you really need to!

I dont think star awards are appropriate either for under threes especially they do not know right from wrong but they learn by example.They are still learning about rules and relationships.They will quickly pick up as you say from your responses when they are behavouring well and surely they are allowed mistakes at such a tender age? :o I have found that routine and consistency is the key!

Hi

I do think the under 3 are bit young to appreciate stars, they are more likely to be confused with when and why they are getting stickers. Also more likely to scream blue murder if they want one and they havnt "earned it!!"

It depends on the behaviour you feel you need to be focasing on but definaly they respond more to direct priase and be more likely than older children to copy this to get the reaction.

But it all depends on child and circumstnace but for group care I would say noo

I have seen a "helping hands tree" in a setting. This was a drawing of a huge tree (from the floor) and leaves where added for helping out, helping others and kind acts etc. Each added leaf had the child's name on it and the good deed they had done. I thought this could be a long term project, changing the colours of the leaves according to the season.

I have created a flower garden using this idea, the child would create their own flower and add it to the display during circle time. Just a different way of rewarding all of the children during their time at playgroup. Every child had a flower on the board by the end of term.

Lesley, that sounds like a lovely idea, especially as you make sure that every child has contributed within a certain timescale. One reservation that I have about any kind of displayed star/reward system is the reaction of some parents who see it and either brag about how many stars, etc. their child has - and "encourage" their child to get more and more - or complain that other children have more than theirs, etc. I've seen it lead to ill-feeling and conflict in the past...not always, just sometimes! Just a thought! :o

Lesley, that sounds like a lovely idea, especially as you make sure that every child has contributed within a certain timescale. One reservation that I have about any kind of displayed star/reward system is the reaction of some parents who see it and either brag about how many stars, etc. their child has - and "encourage" their child to get more and more - or complain that other children have more than theirs, etc. I've seen it lead to ill-feeling and conflict in the past...not always, just sometimes! Just a thought! :o

I agree on both counts, Wolfie! The tree or garden sounds a lovely idea.

When I first joined my group they had a huge star chart for all the children, so it was easy to compare which children had the most stars - and clearly some staff had their favourites! Some parents did enquire why their child had few or no stars and it got quite tense at times. So now we have individual sticker charts which we use to help us work with children on special issues. Mind you, it does depend on whether children are motivated by stickers or not - some are just not 'bovvered'.

Maz

We have a 'kindness tree' ..works very much like the one's mentioned. Like the idea of changing the colour of the leaves for each season though.....what would you do in winter when there are no leaves on the trees???

er... iceicles (spelling?). The beauty of the tree or garden is that the child's achievements are spread around so it is not like you have a long line of stars by one child's name which stands out above the rest. Instead you have a working and developing craft display.

Parents could see this as a competion and could push their child to hard to achieve and i can understand the ill feeling this could create between parents. But every child, every day, every where does something worth adding to the board.I think we must be inclusive and thoughtful which we all are all of the time!!!

We have a 'kindness tree' ..works very much like the one's mentioned. Like the idea of changing the colour of the leaves for each season though.....what would you do in winter when there are no leaves on the trees???

been thinking about this today..come up with the idea of changing to a xmas tree & adding a bauble instead of a hand....and yes, I agree with you about pushy parents...heard one once say "do something kind today so you can get a hand on the tree".!!!!

I think that whatever reward system we use we need to think about how we can enable children to develop self esteem, self control, self worth etc independently without always needing the affirmation of an adult. Obviously this is a long term goal we all have for our children. My question about star charts is what happens when they stop being used? Promoting self satisfaction and the ability to know oneself that what they have done, achieved is worthwhile is what I aim for.

I have used star charts at home for a limited period and when completed emphasised to my children that he/she has shown that they can do whatever the aim of the chart was, ie: remember to wash hands before dinner etc.

Star charts in preschool the child is 'doing' for the adult, staff or parent, and not learning the true rewards for appropriate social behaviour. ie: friendship, good company, shared respect etc.

The kindness tree / flower idea, I think is better, the adults could extend the understanding by talking about how the child and others felt when the kindness was shown, thus moving away from the 'visual' reward to the real reward of 'nice feelings'.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)