Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plan-do-review

Having had the plan do review book for a couple of months I have finally got round to reading it and I'm really liking the idea of it and some of the ideas in the book are wonderful. Iwondered if anyone out there is using this already in a nursery/reception class (i'm in a reception class) and how is it working? Do you have a time allocated to this every day or is it just certain days?

Also was wondering how best to introduce this to my TA - the book is pretty hard going and very long and I don't just want to photocopy large sections as it doesn't seem fair to expect her to read it all in the next week. If you were being asked to take on a new approach such as this how would you like it to be introduced to you?

Sorry for all the questions I just feel like I'm spinning so many plates at the moment and I feel like one's about to drop any minute. There's so many things I'm trying to include into my new routine this year and I feel like I'm sturggling and we haven't even started back yet :o

Also was wondering how best to introduce this to my TA - the book is pretty hard going and very long and I don't just want to photocopy large sections as it doesn't seem fair to expect her to read it all in the next week. If you were being asked to take on a new approach such as this how would you like it to be introduced to you?

A lot will depend on the level of knowledge/experience of your TA and how far a departure from her philosophies the plan-do-review approach is.

If it were me, I'd like to know the really essential information first and foremost and to have a clear idea of how the changes to the routine would need to be made, and what my role would be. I'd also need to be convinced that the changes were really necessary so that I could fully buy in to them!

I also wouldn't like too much to change all at once - I do like something familiar to hang onto whilst adapting to change!

Maz

It's a high scope approach - this is the book I am talking about

http://www.highscope.org/ProductDetail.asp?intProductID=307

Anyone using it???

Hi Ariel

have just recently joined fsf and have not got round to introducing myself. Yes I am using the same approach in my nursery and have been doing so for 2 years since we opened. we do this every day and it really gives the children a great sense of independence. We use a planning board for each group where there are photos of every area in the nursery and the children have to put their name against their chosen activity. t o differentiate we allow the children to point, say where they are going, say where they are going and what they will do there. We were praised for this by the early years advisor!

suec

Welcome to the forum Sue!

Thank you for such a practical illustration of how you do the plan-do bit. How and when do you incorporate the review bit and what would you say are the benefits to the children of using this approach?

Maz

Hi Ariel - we have been using the plan-do-review approach as part of our high/scope routine at our centre for some time now. We use a plan-do-review sheet for staff to write down a child's plan and then again at review time they write what the child has done during work time. We use lots of different resources and ideas to do the planning with the children which keeps it interesting for them and can be adapted for different ages of children attending setting. for eg. children sit around a hoop and sing a song 'round and round the hoop is going where it stops nobody knowing, will it stop on ? today what are you going to do today' - this works well with the younger children especially. we also use telephones for the children to share their plan with adult or interact with other children, musical instruments, tape recorders and play back at review time, photograph board of areas, balls, bean bags, koosh balls, puppets and finger puppets, roadways or train track with areas on, televisions made out of boxes for children to put over their heads and share plan with others or even items from areas + post box.

hope this gives you soon ideas! good luck hope it goes well

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum Sue!

Thank you for such a practical illustration of how you do the plan-do bit. How and when do you incorporate the review bit and what would you say are the benefits to the children of using this approach?

Maz

Sorry for taking so long in replying. The children review their activity at the end of child initiated time, they do remember ttheir chosen activity even though they may have moved on, in their group and show anything they might have made etc. The benefits are that it gives the children a chance to share with others and gives them a sense of closure. The benefit as a whole for plan do review is that they hopefully will continue this process without realising it as they go through life-to manage their time, set goals and make decisions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)