Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Do I Start - Phase 1 Or 2?

Hi all xD

Can anyone just let me know where they intend starting at on letters and sounds if they are using it. I teach reception in an area that has high achieving children and who many have already been learning lots of JP letters sounds at nursery (some know them all!) - If you are only meant to spend 20 mins a day (whole class) there is no time to differentiate the phonics to begin with - so not sure if should start at Phase 1 or 2 - aaaaaargh, my head is spinning :o

Phase One is intended to continue alongside all other phases as it is basically good practice. Lots of speaking and listening/ sound discrimination etc. I intend to begin right away with Phase Two but include phase one activities in carpet and circle sessions. Hope that makes sense.

Oh, phew, thank you - I was thinking along the same lines - just read this quote (teaching times, i think)

Phase 1 is preparation for, rather than part of, phonic work: ‘It paves the way for a programme of phonic work to begin. This starts when grapheme-phoneme (lettersound) correspondences are introduced in Phase 2’. Perhaps, therefore, Phase 1 should come under ‘Speaking and Listening’ rather than under ‘progression and pace in the teaching of phonics’. Many reception teachers using ‘synthetic phonics programmes already move straight to Phase 2 and find that it works very well.

I planned to move straight to Phase 2 but was unsure how to fit Phase 1 in (circle time great idea!) thank you very much :o

Yup, start with phase 2, which is the starting ppoint for Yr R. If you look at the guidance part of the pack (the thinner booklet) there is guidance on the flexibility of moving on from phases so even if the suggested time for phase 2 is 6 weeks if your children achieve this quicker then you can move on - it's all down to your judgement "based on accurate assessments".

Cx

thanks catma... the training i went on made it sound like we def had to start at phase 1 but as with anything its about your own judgment of where the chdn are at! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)