Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seen It All Now!

Rea

Did a few hours at a nursery I'd never been to before today.

We played outside for most of the 4 hours I was there, and the staff took chairs and sat. That was it. No more no less. They sat, talking about diets I think, I was obviously playing so couldnt hear. Never seen anything like it, bemused to say the least. There were other reasons I wont be going back but that one left me flabbergasted. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. Amazing. :oxD

Sitting down? During the day? Were they ill? :o

Think that's the only time the children I look after would let me sit down...... even then, they'd have me reading books!

It's my job! While they play, I interact if they want me... if they don't I make myself busy close by in case they do.....

Am horrified!

Sarahx xD

I sat down, last day I worked this week (part-time) - however, it wasn't restful!!

I started off chasing the Hogwarts Express in the relative safety of the Weasley flying car, but was soon squeezed out and hanging on for my life.....! Then the bus thing came by - how DO these 4 year olds know so much!! Not safe yet, we caroomed around before eventually crash landing so one of my little boys could fight off the whomping willow so we could all go to bed....

Bed!! It was only midmorning, but he'd been a hero!

Bless

Now I need a month off to recover !

I must admit I sat down too... we made a den out of milk crates and sat while we decided what game to play, then we went on a bear hunt. I got bitten by a red ant and it really hurt so I sat again while I put spit on my ankle. But I didnt sunbathe and I talked to the children at the same time. :o

I'm glad I'm not a parent having to find childcare. These days with all the regulations and standards most parents would presume that all settings were as good as each other. From the inside it's so different. :oxD

Guest Wolfie

Someone that I know is a Childcare Development Officer for the county -when she had a baby and was looking for childcare, she couldn't find one nursery in a convenient location where she would happily leave her child! Scary indeed!

Let's not be TOO negative though -we all know of very good nurseries too don't we, where their practice leaves us feeling happy and confident....for example, all the places where people on FSF work! So let's not be too gloomy!

Edited by Wolfie

Last term I decided to put on a pedometer whilst at work just to see how much walking I do. We had one day when we were walking up to the canal and back taking the children on trips and because of ratios we had to go there and back four times. I also walked round to a local school on the same day because I had a training session there after work. On this day everyone was saying 'You'll have walked a lot today' and do you know it was actually about the same as I walk on a normal day. I don't think we actually realise how much walking we actually do in a day. The only days I do less is when I have half a day in the office and the steps go down dramatically.

Sue

This doesn't suprise me, knowing what I have seen both on supply and going for interviews (yes I have seen bad pracitice). And then theres me who knows I am a professional nursery nurse and have been told so lots of time, I would not just sit down and do nothing with the children. They could have seen this in their tranning practice and thougth it was ok

Beth

This doesn't surprise me either.......before opening our nursery we visited some local ones & yes, there were some just as you are describing. But there are also very good nursery's around and the staff want to be there to interact and have fun with the children.

Perhaps the supervisor/manager should be stepping in & talking to the staff on this occassion?!!

I must admit I have seen some bad practice out there too! I have seen practitioners who obviously DO NOT enjoy the company of children - don't quite know why they choose to work with them. I have observed staff in other settings talking about everything (soaps, what they did last night etc.) and saying to a child when they approach them, just a minute we're talking!

Last term myself and a fellow student from college (we are both doing the FD course) were approached by our tutor to deliver a session to her year 1 students. we did a session 'bad cop' and 'good cop' each delivering an activity to two different groups of students and showing good interactions styles and not so good (talking about soaps etc) and interrupting the students asking direct questions not relating to what they were doing. It was very interesting to hear the feedback from the students and I hope they learn alot about how to relate to/play with children. We must remember that when students visit us on placement that we show them how to be good role models because obviously in some settings bad practice is left to go on without being challenged.