Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elmer The Elephant

Recently been buying elmer resources from car boots, shops etc so now have decided to do this as a 'topic' next term.......have ideas what to do but knowing you lot you have already come up with some fantastic activiites xD so hope you are willing to share them with me...please :(

I have also read/seen somewhere an activity to make elmers out of milk bottle cartons (the ones with handles) but can not find it anywhere :o

I could always ask my friend to visit nursery.....her surname is Elmer.... :(

Any pics would be good..thanks

mrsb

I carried out an Elmer topic ages ago and we used the paint charts that you get free at DIY stores we cut all the squares up and spread them all over a table color side up. The children loved them, lots of comparing and color recognition and discussions about shades and similarities. We then let them stick them onto card, some made Elmer pictures some just stuck them in rows and made patterns. We also showed the children patchwork quilts. There is a lovely story somewhere about a boy who visits his Grandma and has a quilt of dreams that is patchwork I think.

have fun !

Teri

When we read the Elmer stories (we were trialling Literacy goes MADD) we made a huge fabric patchwork Elmer for the school hall with coloured labelled balloons. We also did face painting to decorate ourselves like the elephants did on Elmer Day.

I love the Elmer books, as they lend themselves to al areas of the curriculum - PSE, physical etc - what about bringing in a bit of science KUW and creating colours wheels with black ink, blotting paper and wathcing the colours spread - I have never found the right ink and it never seems to separate properly but it can be done (chromatography) - blackberries are around what about using this and other things to die some material - isnt there a book where he rubs himself in berries so he loses his colour. You could also use red cabbage and other natural things that stain/ Pipettes with paint onto icing sugar - watch the wonderful patterns it creates. You could then move into Africa and India and wilid animals, cultures etc, sacred elephants etc. Making elephants from clay is also quite easy - one big lump, 4 sausage like legs and a long trunk - looks like an elephant to me. Mathematical - charting up sizes of animals using mathematical language, elephant masks - too tired to think of anything else now but I am sure others will add

N

use plain old felt tip for chromotography-especially brown

beetroot for dying-we did tie dying but make sure the fabric is natural cotton

:( WOW thanks guys....I can see this is going to be great.

Leading on from this then............another question xD

This is suppose to be a 'loose topic' because we are free flow and being led by the child's interests. Will I get away with doing a Elmer topic & showing plans for this???? I'm sure if you make a topic fun & interesting the children will be interested anyway! :o How does everyone else feel about this?

I'm not going to be forcing them to take part in any activity....

I've just bought Penny Tassoni ~Planning for the Foundation Stage and she suggests "If you decide to deliver the Foundation Stage using themes or topics, it is important to see them only as starting points. Follow children's interests and see where they take you."

In the book she has lots of familiar, child centred themes but the planning is for a very short period.

This seems a good way to work until you see where the children's interests lie. It also provides a sense of security for those practitioners who aren't quite ready to let go, while still responding to the children. I feel planning is a tool but it shouldn't be so rigid you can't change if you feel you should.

When I did Elmer I started with a mind- map about what we knew about elephants. The children were encouraged to bring things from home and I also collected things myself such as pictures and books. I made some labels ready for what I thought they would talk about and for language such as 'big' and 'large', 'size'. etc. It was during the children's second week in Reception so I kept the mapping short and snappy, but used the items as a focus activity afterwards. Then they were left for the children to use as they wished. Most of them had experienced very simple mapping in nursery the previous year.

post-1195-1188128011_thumb.jpg

Guest Wolfie

Marion, I've used Penny Tassoni's book quite a lot for theme ideas and everything I've used has worked really well, keeping children AND staff interested. I recommend that book without hesitation.

I love the message in the Elmer story which helps young children to consider prejudice. The story lends itself to go off on many tangents, either facts about animals (KUW), similarities and differences / patterns ( KUW / maths ) or self esteem, self identity, considering others (PSE).

Have fun. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)