Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Car Insurance

Rea

Our car insurance has caused a few irate phone calls lately. To cut it short we were trying to get the insurance down from £941 to around £400 after a failed claimed had hiked the premiums. Today we were told that the price can only be reduced to £700 so we looked on the insurance companies own web site and got it at £455.

Hubby asked for that price on the phone but it can only be given on the web site, and he was told it might be cheaper every year to cancel your policy and set it up straight away online. :o

Even allowing for a 10% discount we've saved loads by cancelling and starting it straight back up.

What a palarva xD

WOW, what a difference, £250 difference worth the palava but I can see why it is so annoying.

I shall keep your info in mind when my insurance runs out.

only worry is how will I remember your post when I renew next year???? xD:o

I know I will copy and paste it into my calender. :(

Thanks Rea.

Peggy

Thanks for sharing that.

It has actually come at a good time for me as my car insurance is up for renewal in september. i normally just go with the quote my old insurers offer me but this time i may think about shopping aorund a little, particularily if it will save me some cash....

car insurance is far too expensive LOL, and if i didn't love my car so much and paid so much to learn to drive/ pass my test in the first place i would be inclined to give my car up, but i need it (read like it) too much :o

Dawn

Guest Wolfie

That story happened in our house as well -when both our house and car insurance policies come up for renewal, my husband always gets a cheaper quote than we have been given if he registers online as a new customer- when he rings up to complain, they can't explain it! Whatever happened to looking after your existing customers?!?

And while we're on the subject of moaning about car insurance, can anyone recommend a good company when you have a young driver on your policy? Our son passed his test 18 months ago and we got a reasonable deal with Liverpool and Victoria. When the policy was up for renewal in June, the quote that came through was £150 more than last year, even though he's a year older and we haven't made any claims. When we rang up, they couldn't explain the rise and just said we had to accept it! The annoying thing is that we can't find another company that will do it any cheaper than that quote....anyone know a good one???

Don't know if its any cheaper than what you have but direct line have a scheme where named drivers can earn their own no claims bonus for when they take out a policy in their own name. I presume they would have to take out the first policy with them but it helps when first starting off even one years discount helps a lot

HI

Try confused.com, they found me a cheaper quote when i first started driving. for the first time i insured my car i went with norwich union, second year round and thrid year i went wuth Quinn which was a lot cheaper than the previous insurers, but i would definetly recommend confused.com

dawn

That story happened in our house as well -when both our house and car insurance policies come up for renewal, my husband always gets a cheaper quote than we have been given if he registers online as a new customer- when he rings up to complain, they can't explain it! Whatever happened to looking after your existing customers?!?

And while we're on the subject of moaning about car insurance, can anyone recommend a good company when you have a young driver on your policy? Our son passed his test 18 months ago and we got a reasonable deal with Liverpool and Victoria. When the policy was up for renewal in June, the quote that came through was £150 more than last year, even though he's a year older and we haven't made any claims. When we rang up, they couldn't explain the rise and just said we had to accept it! The annoying thing is that we can't find another company that will do it any cheaper than that quote....anyone know a good one???

Oh it's a pain in the backside isn't it?

I'm always shopping around as I had a claim made against me a couple of years ago (I think the guy was lying and it was insurance fraud but I can't prove it).

I've been with tescos for a few years as no-one could get near my quotes from then but then this year the AA came up trumps, getting an extra discount cos I'm with their breakdown service.

I tried confused.com it was cheaper by about £50 but because we have 2 vehicles and get a discount for them we are staying with the original company, which by the way is Direct Line, and I'd like to know where the heck they got their name from.

No line is direct, we were passed about, put through or told to phone a different number. Names are usless because you can never speak to that person again and if I hear that man off 'As time goes by' telling me how wonder the company is or have to listen to Frank Sinatra again I'll genuinely cry. xD

Another tip...Dont get clever. You know when they ask the security questions? I'd got so used to them I started reeling them off, only to be given another one. To start with it was name, date of birth and postcode, but when I said them without being asked they added house number and next time they added mothers maiden name.

:o

Young drivers on insurance always a problem particularly if a boy, (we did a check once using same info just for a girl on form and got a much cheaper quote!)

we used direct line for a while but found Norwich Union direct cheaper. This has also proved case for his own policy, we always go for loads of quotes but end up with same one...only problem is the foreign call centre... really got a bit confused when he changed his address 3 times in a year!! They had lots of problems understanding home address and place car is kept being different (away at Uni in temp accommodation)

Tesco were also recommended by his driving instructor as good for young (particularly male) drivers.

Also tip for students insurance on contents ..also cheaper to cancel every year and reapply ..often with same insurer..he saved £100. doing this..on same address and circumstances!!

Inge

On house insurance quotes..our previous provider gave us a quote higher than others we could get...we rang them to see if they could give us a better one. They said as it was quite an old policy we were sure to get a better quote with their newer ones... on going through everything they then came up with a new quote £50 more than the original!! Hence our previous provider.

Inge

Guest Wolfie

Thanks very much for that, we'll start on it tonight now! :o I seem to remember Endsleigh as being good from my own uni days...some things obviously never change!

Tesco has worked out cheapest for us. My son has been a named driver on my policy for 3 years. He has just got his own and has a ready made no claims bonus.

Al

My renewal quote came today so hubbies been chasing it up all night.

AA have given a quote a third of my companies renewal quote (churchills).Hubby says 'its too good to be true' so he's not gone for it until he 'can re-read the small print in the morning'. :(

My 'baby' (2nd car) is more expensive than the main family car- Mazda :o

The moral of this tale is be careful what you buy yourself for your 40th-it might make you feel young and leave the 'boys with toys' standing at traffic lights but you sure do pay for that racing engine xD

I can't remember which search tool I used but I changed my car insurnace to The post office. I was paying over £400 each year but I paid £180 for the year with the post office and then got a £50 postal order sent ot me from them too!