Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Would You Call....?

beth1

I have been browsing on the net for a job, I have seen a few with odd job descriptions for genral requirements one which I saw said X experince and simliar role in childcare. :o:(

This has got me thinking about roles in genral, how do we define what is a similar role. xD I know I have worked as a nursery nurse and out of school club manager, in which this role is very similar to the nursery managers role with a few differences i.e. age of children, OFSTED Standards etc.

So what could be classed simlar to day nursery roles:

Nursery Manager

Deputy Manager

Senior Nursery Nurse

Nursery Nurse/Assistants

Beth

Hi Beth,

If you look at the job descriptions and person specifications for the jobs you are interested in, then you will know if you have had experience in what the employers are looking for. Employers may ask for evidence that a person has done what they have said on their applications. So if you read the job description or and the person specification, then you can link into it with examples of what you did, where and when etc. Hope this helps.

Rosepetal

I think we've had this discussion on another thread - I don't think its useful to talk about generic job descriptions since every setting is different. As Rosepetal says, the best thing to do is look at specific job descriptions and person specification for the job you are applying for and think about how you can match up with the skills and attributes needed.

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Yep, I agree with what everyone else has said - look at each job, and each job title and description, separately. Each setting is different and will give different job titles accoding to their structure and circumstances. I don't think it is beneficial to try and "compare" job titles and descriptions. Good luck with your search! :o

I agree with others that job descriptions and job specifications individual to settings are the main document to regard when applying for positions. However, from Every child matters, there is a document called COMMON CORE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS, which would be expected from early years practitioners, either assessed as knowing and being able to meet the COMMON CORE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS criteria, or as a tool to use for an employees professional development plans.

Read the info from the CWDC site. HERE CWDC SITE

and the PDF document attached,

and I have also attached the information I give to prospective employees within my recruitment pack detailing the COMMON CORE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS which I assess during the interview stage of recruitment, including my 'practical' interview.

This document relates to other professional jobs outside of early years as well, such as health, social services, education.

Lots of reading but I think the information will help to answer your question and help with future applications, alongside relating your application to specific job descriptions.

Peggy

cOMMON_CORE_OF_SKILLS_AND_KNOWLEDGE.pdf

COMMON_CORE_OF_SKILLS_AND_KNOWLEDGE.doc

Thanks everyone for your interesting information, as you know I have been to various interviews recently however the common thing unless I have filled in an application form to not give out job description.

Peggy your information is very useful and will read tommorow for further details.

Beth

Guest Wolfie

A good employer will send out a copy of the job description and person specification WITH the application - how else can you match your application to what they are looking for? :o

Agree with you Wolfie but I think Beth 1 is referring to job ADVERTS (seen on the net) rather than employers 1st stage of recruitment when JD's are sent out.

Often the general info in job adverts contain phrases such as 'experience within a similar role', this is where I really think the Common core is such a useful publication. It shows the 'generic ' knowledge and skills required within a range of early years ( and other professional) roles. I think it is very useful because it could be used to inform the basics of a job description for the early years, alongside additional descriptions relevant to the individual setting.

Just an additional thought, it is always useful to consider what 'transferable' skills you have when applying for jobs, I think the Common core is indeed a set of 'transferable knowledge and skills' that can be used in a variety of roles and professions, including early years.

Peggy