Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Career Prospects

hello, im just about to commence year 3 of BA(Hons) Early childhood and education studies, when i first embarked on the course (millions of years ago!) i thought i wanted to teach, only now im not so sure. I love being in the classroom, and love being with the children. Im managing out of school provision at the moment which im really enjoying.

I really want to know what other prospects there are, perhaps without doing a post grad year. Everyone keeps telling me to do the PGCE because noone really knows what else to suggest, and this seems to be the best option salary wise (but it seems daft to do something like that jsut for morre money. However, on saying that i have considered EYP but dont feel it has the government backing financially to be worth it (so im kind of two faced in that respect).

What i mean is i dont want to do three years at uni to end up doing what i was doing before i started, for the same pay.

does that make sense???

im looking for suggestions really. (recently saw a community nursery nurse position advertised but know icould have done that with my L3qualification and dont want to waste my degree in that respect)

sorry its so long!!!

lucie xx

not really sure what to suggest, Lucie. If I knew what else I could use my teaching experience and qualification for, I might be doing something else!!

However, I would personally suggest that a PGCE and QTS would give you more options than EYPS. Remember the latter is not a qualification.

Good luck with year 3 and whatever you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my Early Childhood Studies Degree a few years ago and felt exactly the same. I loved working within a setting however I just wasnt sure I wanted to go on a do my PGCE.

I became employed within my local children's centre after I graduated, working with children and their families helping them to understand how play supports their child's development etc. Although I didnt require a degree level qualification for the job it was really satisfying and I enjoyed working with parents as well as children and i gained a lot of experience. I now work on the advisory team for my local authority alongside the qualifies teachers in children's centres. I think that the PGCE would open up more opportunities and would probably ensure a greater pay increase in the future however im still not at the stage where i feel i want to teach so im starting my EYP in october.

Im sure i'll prob go onto do my PGCE in the future but ive been lucky enough to have good career prospects so far with just my degree.

Hope everything works out for you

Paula x

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya, I would suggest to go with the teacher training route, it has more back up than the EYPS imo.

You then have the option to either work as a teacher or to work as a high level early years educater.

This would put you in good stead for when there will need to be a qualified teacher in every setting :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)