Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated

Hi I have just been given a new activity evaluation sheet to fill in. On this sheet it has spaces for the evaluations and also a section which says 'child initiated learning' - what is it I need to put in this section I am sure I probably know but just need to get started - thanks in advance for your help x

Guest Wolfie

Maybe any learning that was sparked off by individual children's responses to the planned activity that hadn't already been identified as possible learning objectives by you when planning the activity? As a result of evaluating that activity in that way you could then respond to the child/children's particular lines of enquiry and interest in future planning. That's what I would use that heading for anyway! :o

Maybe any learning that was sparked off by individual children's responses to the planned activity that hadn't already been identified as possible learning objectives by you when planning the activity? As a result of evaluating that activity in that way you could then respond to the child/children's particular lines of enquiry and interest in future planning. That's what I would use that heading for anyway! :o

Me too - and the results can be quite interesting, can't they?

Maz

Child A comes into the room, takes a lacing card, chooses some red thread and a needle and sits intently doing the lacing... a little while later, he involves an adult in his activity, asking how he can tie another piece of thread onto the original. The adult asks how he thinks he might do it - so continues another type of child initiated learning

Or at least my understanding of it!!

Sarahx :o

Child A comes into the room, takes a lacing card, chooses some red thread and a needle and sits intently doing the lacing... a little while later, he involves an adult in his activity, asking how he can tie another piece of thread onto the original. The adult asks how he thinks he might do it - so continues another type of child initiated learning

Or at least my understanding of it!!

Sarahx :o

Or even something more removed ...

Staff have read the story of the Jolly Postman

Children in mark making area then later write letters and request envelopes

Children then ask if they can post them

Staff may support them in writing envelopes

Children and staff go on a walk to the post office

.. and the learning continues

Staff were 'just reading' the story, and the children decided that they wanted to write letters, post them etc. The staff had never intended this to be a follow up activity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)