Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Dfes Foundation Stage Framework

xD Has anyone placed this into their planning yet? I'm probrably thinking too hard on this .... but don't you find there are a lot of new words that place a slight shift of presentation .. but generally derive from the orginal document? Or am I missing something?

At the school that I work at there is such a focus on phonic work & gettin the reading (& new handwriting scheme) that they're pretty much on top it there.(opinions differ on this as I waould love to work with continious provision & have no insecurities with taking the childrens lead). I find the annoying thing is having to rescript my planning with new objectives instead of having time to think creatively/ apply in the restrictions of such a narrow way of working with the EY curiiculum.

I can do the paperwork & trying to be positive it does help review last years planning, but I would have done that anyway (with a document I was just getting to know!)

I feel thrown by this now ............... Have I missed something, or is it just doubting thomas moment???! :o

To be honest, skylight, I don't see the new document altering much at all in the way we work. Maybe I'm just not seeing things? As such, we haven't altered any of our documentation yet - there's plenty of time for that. After all, Inspections will be to Every Child Matters until September 2008.

I thought it was great in that it clearly supports child centred learning and practice, which is something I've long championed and feel should be the backbone of all good provision. Have I missed something, folk?

Sue

I'm not entirely clear which document you mean - is this the EYFS or the renewed literacy/numeacy frameworks?

I do think with planning that you have to accept that you will plan every year anew, no two cohorts are the same and it can't be a one size fits all approach, what works with one group of children and lights up their learning won't with another bunch, so changes in focus shouldn't really be a problem as you will be creating an approach that's right for the children currently in a class. The ELGs are the same as are most of the developmental bands really, the renewed frameworks give the ELGs as a reference point for primary year groups so there shouldn't be any conflict with that (although conflict with a literacy/numeracy dominated curriculum will still exist methinks)

Cx

New literacy framework should be easier to use as language is much more user friendly and NOW correlates with FS guidance. Remember the FS curriculum is statutory not the renewed framework or NLS/ NNS. So if anything, your planning should be easier!?

You can offer phonics and handwriting as your school suggests while still working from the children's interests.

We are holding back on the EYFS until we have had more training but the message from our EY team is that we are already covering it in the way we work now so perhaps we can get by with "tweaking" our planning but as officially we have until Sept 2008 it shouldn't be a huge problem (wishful thinking?) The new Primary Framework isn't statutory so it is up to schools whether they choose to use it or not but for FS the content is almost identical to EYFS.

As Sue R says try not to worry it looks "scary" but it is just pulling together BTTM, CGFS and ECM into one document so no "huge" changes just looks very different.

Thanks for the relpies. I agree with all and fully back Sue's stand for child centred & lead in learning. Hopefully this document will help bridge the overall curriculum for what is regarded as 'Early Years'.

I've since found alsorts of updated planning proformas and info to help with the general admin for planning ( thanks to the kind people who have shared on the forum/ resources) This hasten to add I do plan for each year group, but requirements in our school planning met a lot of new admin work to adopt re-wording of new document!

Many I ask a general question? How has the Letter & Sounds document effected your planning?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)