Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

References

Hi

I have been asked to write a reference for someone I work with to support her applictaion for a course. Please could you advise me on what sort of things you include in your references? Do you wirte under certain headings? How much do you normally write?

I have never written one before and don't want to let her down!!

Elfy

x

I think it is really difficult to do a reference without having the criteria you need to consider. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere about references - someone with technical expertise will come along and point you in the right direction!

I have just been asked to provide a 'blanket' reference for a member of staff who left at the end of last term, but I've written back and asked for performance critiera - unless you know what issues are important to the new employer, how can you provide a useful reference?

So my advice would be to find out more about the kind of information they require about the candidate....

Maz

I would write something like

'x has worked with me in my classroom for y years. She has been supportive and interested, responding well to the children and they to her. She has always been interested in a and would be a good student.'

I would say everything I knew about this person and her interest in the course.

Good luck.

I would mention their rapport with children and adults. Professionalism. Willingness to learn and be involved in professional development. Past performance and how you would judge their performance as a practitioner. promptness, appearance, reliability. OOh I don't know, the head normally does the references but I have done lots for NQT's and students I have mentored but I agree it is easier if you have some idea of what the reference is for and what they are looking for specifically.

Guest Wolfie

I usually mention something about the person's communication skills, both oral and written - that might be quite relevant if it's an application for a course.

Elfy , I am sure whatever you write will be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it is quite weird to read a post written with me in mind by another.

Seriously as to what they want from the reference. I do not know, it just asks for 2 to be taken on induction evening.

Thanks in adavnce

Elfy , I am sure whatever you write will be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it is quite weird to read a post written with me in mind by another.

Seriously as to what they want from the reference. I do not know, it just asks for 2 to be taken on induction evening.

Thanks in adavnce

What course is this for Phil?

Maz

You can include in the reference that Phil is computer / internet literate. :o

...and obviously committed to continuous professional development and sharing good practice!

Enjoy your course Phil!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)