Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dog Sitting

My friend rang me up over a week ago and said could I look after there dog for them whilst they go away for 2 weeks as the kennels had let them down.

Of course I can I said, when are you going - today she said!! This was 3pm and they were going at 8pm.

I have now had this dog for over a week and I am on count down to them coming back. He is lovely really, he is 12 years old, deaf, blind and diabetic. I have to give him an insulin injection twice a day.

Its like having a baby in the house again. He wakes up at 2am EVERY morning and needs letting out for a wee and then again at 6am for another wee. It's a good job I am on holiday from pre-school or the children would have one hell of a ratty leader to cope with!!! Its been 13 years since I had my sleep constantly interupted in the night and I don't think I like it!

We used to have a dog until a few years ago, and you forget how much of a tie they are, especially when he needs insulin twice a day, we can't just go out and leave him as he has to be fed between 6 and 7am and 6 and 7pm daily. We are having to work out when we can go out at week-ends and what time we need to be back so that we can let him out etc and so that he isn't left alone in a strange house for long periods of time.

He is now getting used to the layout of our house and garden and doesn't bump into quite as many thing as he did on this first few days. He is even starting to sit on our knees and have a fuss.

His parents are back on Saturday, we are handing him over and then going away ourselves for a week where I can lie in and have a full nights sleep again.

I shall miss him, but it has clearly made my mind up that we will not be having another dog! :o

You have my sympathy I "volunteered" to look after someone I work with dog who was also an elderly dog with health issues which wasn't the best move as we have our own dog. My friend's dog was on a diet but managed to gulp down his food and somehow gulp down our dogs food too while our dog looked on in amazement as his food often sits in his bowl for hours but not with this visitor around. On the plus side my friend was overjoyed as it gave her dog a new lease of life.

I dog sat once. When the dratted hound had eaten his meal he would head straight for the settee where he would roll his lips and rub his teeth along the cushions. :oxD

Not a dog person then, Rea?

We're babysitting two very old gerbils for my son's friend for a couple of weeks. So every morning I expect them to be dead in their cage. I asked the little boy's dad how we should look after them and he said 'feed them, water them and if they die bury them'. His son is probably talking to him again by now...

Maz

At least if they died and you wanted to replace them it would be fairly easy though. What would you do if the dog popped his cloggs? Go along to the shelter and ask for a "deaf, blind, diabetic of this exact colour please, I'll just be waiting in the car" :o

No Maz, not a dog person, but funnily they know, and more than once I've had the head of a strange pooch in my lap, while the owners smile fondly and declare 'Oh look he's drooling' xD

my mother in law looked after my cockatil and killed it, she set fire to her kitchen and he died of smoke inhalation, i can laugh about it now as it was years ago!!!!! By the way she was fine!!!!!

Guest MaryEMac

When my daughter was in her first year at secondary school we volunteered to look after the class hamster for the weekend. It was the weekend that my sister in law got married so we were out for the whole day on the saturday. When we got home the hamster was not in the cage :o . Our daughter was hysterical saying that everybody would hate her and no-one would speak to her ever again. We then discovered the whereabouts of the hamster, he was under the Parkray fire in the lounge and had burrowed into the hearth. To get it out we put food down and when he surfaced, my husband rugby tackled him !! It was returned to the cage and the cage was securely fastened by the use of insulating tape. It took a bit of explaining on the Monday and they soon purchased a new cage. We actually volunteered again, for a week in the summer holidays. xD:(

Mary

When my daughter was in her first year at secondary school we volunteered to look after the class hamster for the weekend. It was the weekend that my sister in law got married so we were out for the whole day on the saturday. When we got home the hamster was not in the cage :o . Our daughter was hysterical saying that everybody would hate her and no-one would speak to her ever again. We then discovered the whereabouts of the hamster, he was under the Parkray fire in the lounge and had burrowed into the hearth. To get it out we put food down and when he surfaced, my husband rugby tackled him !! It was returned to the cage and the cage was securely fastened by the use of insulating tape. It took a bit of explaining on the Monday and they soon purchased a new cage. We actually volunteered again, for a week in the summer holidays. xD:(

Mary

I'm wondering how many times he had escaped in other people's houses before he got to you...

Maz