Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Management Qualification?

:o Hi everyone

I manage a 96 place day nursery and am looking for a distance learning childcare management qualification level 4 or 5. At the moment I hold a level 3 Diploma. With 22 years experience not counting for much anymore and the dreaded looming of the 'only a degree will do' ethos, I need to find a way to start towards a higher qualification level or find another profession. The Foundation degree and alike are no good for me at the present time as I now manage full-time, am no longer working hands on in the rooms, family commitments that don't allow for it, working 47 hours a week and the fact that I cannot afford to take time off or go part-time and pay my mortgage.

My senior nursery nurse will probably do the Foundation degree in the next few years when all is settled down, and hopefully a quicker way to qualify will be announced that suit more of us, so that we can succeed to reach level 5/6 without the need for us to have a degree in something!! :( Not disputing that higher qualification isn't a good thing, because it, but alot of us who have been in the proffession one way or another for many years, are all leaving for jobs that don't require constant pushing to take course after course. (Sorry if I've run on, but letting off steam slightly, could go on for ages on this subject, but won't right now xD ).

Anyone got the answer?

I would love to hear from anyone who is doing or has complete such a course, or indeed if there is such a thing, as I'm finding it difficult to find anything suitable and feeling very disheartened.

Hi there

Im doing a manging care course with the open university K303 it is VERY good. Its a level 3 which is like last year of a degree so not sure how you would get on without working your way up. Even I found it a big jump for year 2. However it will arm you with skills needed, maybe worth a look to see?

www.open.ac.uk

If you do E123 and E124 with the Open university these make up the certificate in early years practice which if you check on the chioldcare workforce council qualifications website is a recognised level 4 qualification you can then continue on to top up to the Foundation degree. These courses are a very good start to the foundation degree but the good thing is that on completion they are a recognised qualification in there own right. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

I would do the NVQ level 4 in CCLD or do an open degree with the Open University. I am starting a FD in Leadership and Management rather than the childcare route as I do not work with the children either but time will tell if it is the right choice. I am going through college as I need the interaction/knowledge and understanding rather than the OU route.

Liverpool Hope University do a distance learning course. You can start with the Foundation degree and then go on to do the full BA Hons in Early Years Management. I have just finished my BA Hons. It is hard work but I can thoroughly recommend it. The person you need to contact is Sue O'Neill or Petra Luck at luckp@hope.ac.uk who can send you details of the course. I know she is not back until 15th August. The full degree gives you a level 6 but am not sure what the Foundation gives. All work is done from home, you are put into groups and sometimes have to work on asignments in groups too which can be problematic but also can be good as it gets you motivated and not want to let the group down and best of all you can share things. You can go on to the website as well I think it is hope.ac.uk - no idea of what the costs are but you should get funded from the transformation fund I would have thought. It has been a really good course although I am glad I have finished it - although obviously feeling a little lost so I am hopefully starting my masters in September. Glutton for punishment but it is in my overall career plan - so onwards and upwards - give it a go.

It is hard working all the time but because it is related to your work then its much easier to understand some of the concepts so it doesn't feel too much of a slog. Everything I did I applied to my work on a daily basis - it was really useful to be able to evaluate why we did things especially when things go wrong, much easier to see why and how to avoid them.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)