Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Vision Role Play

Hi

Just got notification of our e-learning credits today and have been looking through the Early Vision catalogue. They look really good but a couple of years ago I spent all of our credits on something very similar which were absolutely useless.

So before I go and spend this money has anyone got the cd's from early Vision and are they any good? They look great and would really add a little extra to our role play.

All comments would be very much appreciated!

p.s. their website is www.earlyvision.co.uk

- unfortunately I'm not able to do any of those fancy links to it!

We were persuaded to have these on trial at a show and I'm ashamed to say we haven't used them at all. However, we will be using them in September to underpin the role play experiences we offer our children because this really needs addressing in our setting. Apart from anything else, I'm really hoping the real videos will help spark the adults' imagination so they can really set the scene for children's role play.

Like you, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used them.

Maz

Haven't used these, but have bought some DVDs from Child's media (I think). These cost about £29 and are just a DVD (not full pack), but we've found them brilliant for inspiring children's role play. We bought the two celebrations DVDs originally because we felt that was something we needed - working in a catholic school, and were so impressed we bought another about People Who Help us. Basically the DVDs come in sections- covering four celebrations/jobs. Each of these then covers two aspects - an outline of the celebration from a child's perspective (eg. following a Chinese boy at home for Chinese New Year/ a boy finding out about the work of the police) and then shows follow up work/play carried out by children in the setting. At the time I felt these were quite expensive (though the video is cheaper £24.99 I think), but the resulting play last year was quite spectacular - the boys' role play in particular! and their willingness to 'write'. The clips are each about 5 minutes long - just long enough to keep them interested. There are also teachers notes to accompany each pack with background information and ideas for activities to do at the setting.

I'd recommend these - but I'd also be interested to know of anyone using the Early Vision materials.

Harricroft

We have used the Early Vision stuff and it is fantastic- we have copies of the Police one, the People who help us about ourselves one- is it dentist, beautician etc. and we have a couple more. They have been fantastic for inspiring role play- again childrens play really hit it of and standards were improved. You need to plan to use them obviously. we watched the video together and then we made our roleplay area (all of us, chidlrne included) and then we left the CD Rom on computers for children to play with.

Well worth the money!!!!

Thanks for that blossom. I would have gone ahead and bought them on your recommendation ..... but Harrifcroft has now given me something else to look at as well! I've got the Child's Eye media video's for celebrations which are really, really good but I'll check out what else they have!

We have so many cd's (and it's always the old favourites that get used) and just got the Smart Learning ICT series, that now I just feel we should spend the credits on something a bit different that the children will really enjoy!

Thanks for your help!

janice :o

Guest Wolfie

We've used the one about the Post Office and it was really good for stimulating the children's role play - I tink there were also related games on the CD for the computer, like dressing up the postman and wrapping parcels, and the children enjoyed those too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)