Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Structure Of Day-help!

Hello all! :o

I was an NQT in reception last year...I had no experience of Early Years and was in a single form entry school. I found out what I could but the head teacher insisted that I did a Numeracy and Literacy hour in morning with Topic work in afternoon. We have a new head teacher starting in September so I am keen to do reception properly this year but now I find that I am stuck in the thought processes of last year! I don't know how to structure my day...do I do whole class input on, for example, a new sound in the morning and ensure whole class has done activity on this by end of day? I'm afraid I used to have 2 groups with adult and the rest choosing something to do with the same objective (where possible)...this is what I was told to do in school and then I'd go on courses that would slam this and I'm confused! So basically, does anyone have suggestions of how they structure their day? Perhaps a timetable? Sorry I went on a bit, but help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! Caoimhe x xD

Hi Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum as I notice this is your first post. I'm in a pre-school but no doubt someone will be along shortly with some good advice - you've come to the right place.

Hi there!

Welcome from me too - also in pre-school so of no use to you whatsoever!

Just one thing though: how do you pronounce your name?

Maz

Lovely name - I guessed it was Irish (my children are Siobhan, Christy and Ronan) and Ronan was going to be Aoife if he'd been a girl. Just couldn't get my head round the particular combination of letters!

Sorry - bet you're asked all the time "what's that? how do you spell it? etc"...

Maz

hi caoimhe and welcome! Hope Ive copied that correctly.

Please dont despair, If you have been able to run a literacy and a numeracy hour you will be able to be less formal. You need to offer those activities in chunks throughout the day. I like to start each session with a teaching focus, so immediately after registration, after play and after lunch. One for phonics, one for numeracy, one a n other which could be a circle time or a big book or another focus. You need to balance your week. As the children become more settled you will be able to extend what you do, so phonics maybe followed by handwriting etc. after the initial focus you can offer activities that are teacher led and independent across the 6 areas.

Hope that makes sense? Ask again if you need to, Im a little preoccupied at the moment!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

I am reception/yr1 and I also work in a school where the literacy hour and numeracy hour prevail!

The advice from Susan is great as that is what and how you get around it...there are no answers and i am always worrying if i have got it 'right'.

School does alter the way we deliver though as we have to fit into assembly time,hallslots for PE,etc etc

It is a catch 22 as you have already realised ,we have to teach discrete phonics,guided reading and writing and maths too needs its own imput.....

I think an order /routine to the day is ok that is the way I work it and my TA one of us (or both of us at times!) will take groups after the imput and the children not with an adult will make choices from a menu we write together (or use pics) at the beginning of the day.

Tinkerbellx

i used to run my classroom very simliar to how susan said, not sure how it will run at my new school, ill keep you posted

clare x

• 2 weeks later...

:o Hi I work in Reception and am the FS coordinator, We have 2 reception classes. We do have a structured timetable but allow for flexibility too. We do separate Lit, Phonics and Num input in the mornings and more topic based CD/K&U?PD inputs in the afternoon (as children are more awake and receptive in the am!!) However teachers and TAs work with focussed groups for input areas of learning and activities are either set up or are free for children to initiate themselves across all areas of learning across the whole day.

It seems to work quite well and we have a good response from parents and inspectors. (so far)

Sarah

Hi caoimhe and welcome to the forum

I'm a reception teacher in a FSU so work differently as there are four members of staff. We have 26 pt nursery children and 30 reception children.

my day is

9.00 children separate into reception / nursery groups for registration short whole class activity (this varies week to week- one week being literacy focus next numeracy focus)

9.20ish children come together some working on adult directed tasks/focused activities remainder free choice child initiated activities. We also operate free flow snack and access to the outdoor area

11.10 children again separate into nursery/reception groups prior to lunch/home time at 11.30

12.45 children separate into nursery /reception for registration short whole class session (reverse of morning session)

1.05 adult directed/ focused/ child intitiated

2.45 children separate into nursery/reception prior to home time

timings change as the year progresses

• 3 weeks later...
Hi caoimhe and welcome to the forum

a reception teacher in a FSU so work differently as there are four members of staff. We have 26 pt nursery children and 30 reception children.

my day is

9.00 children separate into reception / nursery groups for registration short whole class activity (this varies week to week- one week being literacy focus next numeracy focus)

9.20ish children come together some working on adult directed tasks/focused activities remainder free choice child initiated activities. We also operate free flow snack and access to the outdoor area

11.10 children again separate into nursery/reception groups prior to lunch/home time at 11.30

12.45 children separate into nursery /reception for registration short whole class session (reverse of morning session)

1.05 adult directed/ focused/ child intitiated

2.45 children separate into nursery/reception prior to home time

timings change as the year progresses

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum too an have a question.

I am a Reception Teacher about to join with a Nuresery class and was wondering how it works. How do I fit in all the reading etc. for the Reception children?

Thanks

Eileen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)