Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managing Lunch Times

In Septmeber my Nursery (attached to a school) is going full time. We will be providing dinners for the children for the first time. All children have been asked to bring a packed lunch and we have lunchtime staff to monitor this. I was wondereing if anyone has any advice when planning this hour and 20 minutes. I thought calm time and story, then eat then outdoor play? Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks so much

Jayne x :o

In Septmeber my Nursery (attached to a school) is going full time. We will be providing dinners for the children for the first time. All children have been asked to bring a packed lunch and we have lunchtime staff to monitor this. I was wondereing if anyone has any advice when planning this hour and 20 minutes. I thought calm time and story, then eat then outdoor play? Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks so much

Jayne x xD

Our lunch club is for 1 hour and the children bring in their own lunch box....unfortuantely we do not have lunchtime staff to monitor ours it is the 'normal' staff if you see what I mean. This is how ours runs (sometimes!!!!)

11.30 - 11.40 Children & 2 members of staff do story/singing/tv/puzzles in the book corner

(2 other members of staff prepare tables etc)

11.40 children are called to wash hands/collect lunch box/find their name

11.45 lunch club with all members of staff having lunch with children

12 - 12.15 Those children that have finished put their rubbish in the bin/put lunch box on trolley/plate in bowl & find a book/small game(dominoes seems to be favourite)/colouring

12.25 Tidy up ready for hometime/& start of afternoon session.

If the children seem very unsettled after lunch we do go outside but we think it's better for them if they try to sit quietly after eating!!!! but you know what children are like :o

Hope this helps.

How many children will you have at your lunch?

I think that you'll find the children need different things around lunchtime.

Traditionally, there is story/song time before lunch to quieten the children down, then eating time, then quiet activites or outdoor play.

Some settings may watch TV/video (I know we did, to cover breaks, but wouldn't advocate this now) others provide table-top activities (jigsaws, card games, small group games), books, mark-making and then outdoor play opportunities. If staffing/layout permits I'd give children the option of indoor and outdoor play - some children just want to 'collapse' after eating, whilst others get a burst of energy.

Remember though, that circle time before lunch, then expecting them to sit for lunch and perhaps quiet time after lunch is a very long time for a young child to stay still, which is why there are usually behaviour issues at this time of day.

I fully agree with RB about the effects of long periods of sitting during this time of day. Pre lunchtime is the one time we try and encourage all children into the outside area with all staff outside too. While one member sets the lunch tables up, chidlren are then called to lunch in small numbers so we have no queing for hand washing either. On the whole our lunches have evolved into a very civalised affair ~ we have table cloths and flowers- at the children's request!!!!! Even staff on breaks come and join us to eat (own choice).

Thanks so much for all of your advise it's great to hear ideas and I can see how all of your advise will really help. I will have 20 for lunch in reply to MrsB. Thank to everyone :oxD

What a lovely picture that conjures up - flowers and table cloths - and at the childrens suggestion - sounds lovely

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)