Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yet Another No!

beth1

I went for an interview this morning, did really well I thought. I have just reviced a phone call to say I didn't get eather the deputy or a preschool assistants job because of my lack of experince! What 4 years is nothing working my way through childcare!

So on this note it looks like I will have to leave the job I love just because no one want to give me a job in the sector. It seems that working with children for over 4 years plus 3 years on work placements haven't given me enough experince. I am really upset that this keep happening over and over again. Oh well I will have work in a shop somewhere.

Beth

Hi Beth

sorry to hear your dissapointing news. When you say lack of experience did they say this was in a specific area? I can not believe that you do not have the experience for a pre school assistants job if you have a total with placements of 7 years experince. Could you ask for feedback on the areas that you need to gain more experince in if it is management skills I did the ISM Institute for management certificate in management which i found very useful. It would be such a shame for you to leave a profession you so obviously love. Don't give up (i know easier said than done) maybe in a couple of days when you have got over the dissapointment you will be able to think of other avenues open to you. Good Luck whatever you decide.

They didn't really say much when I probed them, just that the others had more experince than me. I also got the feeling that they were telling me I am inmature but I am not. How can I be when I am studying at Higher Education that requires a great deal of maturety to deal with lots of things at the same time.

Plus at the moment there are no other jobs in the area I live in. I am also now fed up of working on supply as I think this could be my biggest weakness i.e. not getting the relevant experinces I need in planning and observations etc.

Beth

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. Seven years is a long time in childcare - so its hard to see why they say you don't have enough experience (although if you were up against someone with a lot more experience than you this might explain it - they don't mean you don't have enough experience, just that someone more experienced than you has been given the job).

Have you done a personal SWOT analysis - looking at your strengths, and weaknesses? This might help you identify any gaps in your knowledge/experience - you've already highlighted a couple of possibles. Then, when you have an idea of what you need to work on, perhaps you can identify any opportunities to build up that part of your skill set.

What are you studying at present, and can your tutors offer any help or advice (and good references!) as to what to do next?

Sorry - I know its not much help - I just wanted to offer you something pro-active you could do to bring about a change in your situation. But don't go and work in Tesco until you've exhausted all the possibilities - the childcare workforce needs dedicated people (especially those who are willing to study and upgrade their skills!).

Good luck Beth

Maz

Oh dear, Beth. I'm sorry to hear this. But I wouldn't give up hope yet. Iw ould follow Maz's advice because she sounds just like my college tutor and she has been immensley (sp?) helpful when I've had the same thoughts as you.

Keep your chin up, and remember where we are if you need to vent.

x

Guest MaryEMac

Sorry to hear that, Beth. I'm sure that there is something out there for you, so keep trying. You have come too far to give up now. You know where we are.

Mary

Dear Beth,

You must feel very disappointed - I was in a very similar position and do you know what at the end of the day they were all set up jobs whereby they already knew who they were giving the jobs and the interview process was just a process. By law if you fulfil the job spec they must give you an interview so actually you did meet that criteria but they may well have already chosen another person. It drives me mad as it wastes so much time, is an emotional turmoil because unless you know the company then its really hard to know whats going on. But this has happened to me several times - they have to give me an interview because I met the criteria but they can refuse you on any grounds they like. So take some comfort that you got to the interview process but maybe those jobs were not jobs at all. Keep at it, I am sure that something will come up and I know how irritating it is to hear that as people have said it to me but believe in yourself, believe in karma and I am sure that when the right job comes along it will be right for you. In the meantime, try looking at what you do, perhaps pull some planning and observation sheets together to demonstrate what you can do ready for the next interview - it might be worth drawing up a small portfolio of evidence of how you achieved things, what activities you have done and why - you may not get the opportunity to ever show it but it might just get you to think about what you can do, what you are good at.

Take care

Nikki

Thank you for your contiuting support. :(

Nicola Gray

Funny you should mention a small portfolio of work. xD I have such a thing going at the moment this includes all my childcare certificates. I have examples of planning for the Birth to Three Framework 0-2/2-3 years old and a very old 3-5 years old. I am in the process of updating the foundation stage planning format to be more relvant to current practices (which is very fun to do, currently lost in paperwork don't know where to start!) :o .

Maz

I have done a SWOT when I first started FDey course back in October 2006. :( The things that were a weakness is moving towards becoming stregth. :( At the present time I am in catch 22 situation, I work on supply so don't get the planning/observation exprience I need but in order to gain this a stregth I need a long term/perament post in childcare. All the agencies I work for don't seem to be putting me forward for any of these types of postions if the come up in the areas I am willing to work.

Beth

I have done a SWOT when I first started FDey course back in October 2006. xD The things that were a weakness is moving towards becoming stregth. :o At the present time I am in catch 22 situation, I work on supply so don't get the planning/observation exprience I need but in order to gain this a stregth I need a long term/perament post in childcare. All the agencies I work for don't seem to be putting me forward for any of these types of postions if the come up in the areas I am willing to work.

Beth

Glad to hear your weaknesses are becoming strengths Beth - that's really positive!

Have you thought about doing a bit of advertising/marketing on your own behalf? Perhaps by identifying a few groups you'd like to work with and sending them your CV so that when they have a vacancy they already have your details.

I would certainly be impressed by this kind of pro-active approach, and would feel initiative deserved to be rewarded. But then that's just my point of view, and I do appreciate how downhearted you can become when a permanent job seems such a far off prospect.

I wonder if the agency isn't putting you forward because they don't want to lose their income stream from offering your services on a temporary basis. Are there any other agencies you could try? Obviously I'm not familiar with your area - do groups tend to use agencies to recruit? - I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to. If there are enough, perhaps you need to have one agency for temp work and another for permanent so there's no conflict of interest. Always supposing there is a choice of agencies, I suppose.

I hope you find a way through this difficult time.

Maz