Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Thanks Marion,

Some really useful resources on this site. I am going to share this back at school on Monday.

Michaela :o

Thanks

Have you seen the planning on the TES website for Phases 1- 4 letters and sounds - search in resources.

H X

Thanks Marion, your 'favourites list must be massive. :o

Will be very useful for my foster son who needs some help in this area.

Peggy

Our early years team have issued every setting with a copy of the document - I think it's really useful and have got my own copy because I don't get enough time to really settle down with it at work.

Sue

Guest Wolfie

The early years team in our authority have been delivering training on Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds during the last fortnight - there are some lovely suggested activities in the package, nicely demonstrated on the DVD.

Thanks for the link Marion. The whole website looks very interesting.

Wlfie - perhaps you can answer a query re Phase 1 - are we supposed to cover apsects in blocks eg. aspect 1 first, then aspect 2 etc. or dip into different aspects throughout the week?

Harricroft

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

Well, the overall suggestion was that we work through the different aspects in order as the year progresses but of course there was recognition that the aspects would need revisiting regularly and that you would plan to meet the needs of individual children and ensure that they were secure with earlier aspects before introducing later ones. It also depends on how your setting is organised - maintained settings generally have only one/two intakes per year which maybe makes planning the delivery of the aspects a bit more straightforward....PVI settings have children starting throughout the year and therefore ensuring that they have had access to activities connected to all the different aspects - and in the order suggested in the framework - becomes a bit trickier.

They also said that a DAILY input of this framework is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Great links and resources. With only 20% of evidence for LSL coming from teacher directed have you great people got ideas for how I can get phonics into the environment so children will use them at child initiated time?

Guest Wolfie

Which age group do you teach Keen? All pre-school settings are being told to only look at Phase 1 and there are some lovely ideas, that could be adapted for child-initiated activities, for that phase in the pack. I haven't looked at the other phases yet.

Great links and resources. With only 20% of evidence for LSL coming from teacher directed have you great people got ideas for how I can get phonics into the environment so children will use them at child initiated time?

Hi Keen and welcome from me too.

We follow the Jolly Phonics program and as we cover each sound we display the corresponding picture that is provided. We leave the pictures up all year for the children to refer to. Is this the sort of thing you mean? If you don't have the resources in school you could buy the JP Handbook and photocopy the sounds and actions from there to display.

HTH

I did a course recently "taking literacy outdoors" and one of the ideas was to draw a 'caterpillar' with a letter in each segment of the body then ask the children to go on a treasure hunt and put the things they found in the right segment. The children in the school where the course was held came out for playtime and joined in without being asked. I would think ideas like this once introduced by an adult the first time would be something children would return to independently.

• 2 weeks later...
Which age group do you teach Keen? All pre-school settings are being told to only look at Phase 1 and there are some lovely ideas, that could be adapted for child-initiated activities, for that phase in the pack. I haven't looked at the other phases yet.

I work in nursery and reception. I have been involved in the Communication Langauge and Literacy Development project with the PNS and love all the ideas in phase one. We were also told that nursery and pre schools should concentrate on phase one but when Letters and Sounds was published it was interesting to see they have put aspect 7 into phase one. In the CLLD project this was in phase two! I think the key is to make sure we use appropriate activities for the needs of the children.

Thanks for the caterpillar idea Marion I reckon I'll give that a go. My main task this summer is to really read through and get to grips with the games etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)