Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Presents For Staff...

Guest Wolfie

I always did - as a way of making sure I they know how much I valued them and everything they did for me and the nursery, often in their own time and unpaid!

Hi everyone, next week is our last before the summer holidays. Just wondering do you buy presents for your staff??

I'm taking my staff for a night out, a nice meal and a bunch of flowers.

I pay for the staff meal at the end of every term, presents at Christmas, plus little bits and pieces during the year depending upon what's happening. For instance, after our Ofsted I bought them all a little memento to remind them of the stressful time they'd experienced, and what a great team we are!

Flowers when they're a bit down, the odd box of chocolates when things are getting a bit stressy at work, and if I need to pop out at lunchtime I'll go via Costa and bring them back some nice hot chocolate...

Maz

do the presents at Christmas and meals out together through the year, when we fancy it really , I pay for some drinks and a donation to final bill.

But Im just another member of staff too not an employer .

Inge

Edited by Inge

We have all just been out for lunch this afternoon.

To be honest the presents from the children mean more to us all than anything else. Especially those that are personel.

A child today brought us all a mug, each with our name written on by her (obviously from one of these pot art cafes) in it was a sachet of latte coffee and a small bar of chocolate!

This child had been away on holiday in June, and on the bottom of the mug was her name and 'June 07' so it was nice to think that her parents may have been thinking about us whilst on holiday and took the time to do something like this (other than that it was so wet she needed someting to do!!!!).

We have now broken up for the summer and return on 30th Aug. SO HAPPY HOLS TO YOU ALL. :o

Maz, do you need any more staff? You had me on chocolates .....

This year money looked very tight, (and I did the forecasting), we decided to drop staff gifts at Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays, just give gifts to our volunteer helpers. We didn't have a pay rise either.

We felt that we would rather have the money in our wages so we could decide what to spend it on, if you see what I mean. Gifts have been a bit hit and miss.

Having said that chocolates, wine or flowers are always welcome as a token of appreciation.

we as a staff run workers co-op like to value all staff contributions to our pre-school community . after our Ofsted we all went out for a meal , when we have meetings we buy the best biscuits and if its a long one a takeaway as they are in our own time. We did a furniture and equipment buy at Ikea so finnished off with a meal and the best pressie this year was to buy all staff a pair of crocs to add to our uniform comfortable feet heaven.

sue

Maz, do you need any more staff? You had me on chocolates .....

As it happens, yes I do. This was quite interesting really. I had to pop out and asked if anyone wanted anything. Our new deputy supervisor said "just a nice box of chocolates" so I brought a box back. She was flabbergasted!

Won me a few brownie points, and went some way to make up for my managerial inadequacies... Mind you I'd need to be a major shareholder in Cadbury to do the job fully!

Maz

we as a staff run workers co-op like to value all staff contributions to our pre-school community . after our Ofsted we all went out for a meal , when we have meetings we buy the best biscuits and if its a long one a takeaway as they are in our own time. We did a furniture and equipment buy at Ikea so finnished off with a meal and the best pressie this year was to buy all staff a pair of crocs to add to our uniform comfortable feet heaven.

sue

Love the crocs idea - were they the genuine article? Very expensive for the whole staff team. But great because we spend the whole time on our feet. And long lasting too - better than chocolates in that respect...

Maz

PS Did they get to choose their own colours???

no they where copies but still good we chose black as we wear black trousers. we are a small team 6 pairs my hubby who is our genral dogs body didnt fancy any.I have to say a bottle of wine at a planning meeting brings out some unique ideas.

I love team building nights/weekends and before anyone asks me to build a raft I had better say we look on these as an unusual event but not physicaly taxing . we have so far (payed for by each staff member ) been to see that hypnotist from the tv name escapes me. had a clarvoyant do readings for us went to London for a show for my 50th a pamper weekend for a colleague who was off to Thialand for a month for her 50th to mention just a few. anyone else do this need some ideas for my deputys 40th.

sue

:o This is how i'm feeling now, you all seem to do so much for your staff. I always praise and thank them verbally but never even thought about pressies etc. I am just another member of staff though!!!! but I will re-think & do more for them. I appreciate everything they do so I'm off shopping later to look for pressies. Many thanks for all your replies and ideas

mrsb

What is nice is as member of staff who buys the xmas pressies and occasional treats they get together and buy me one to make sure i dont miss out!!

Inge

Edited by Inge

:o This is how i'm feeling now, you all seem to do so much for your staff. I always praise and thank them verbally but never even thought about pressies etc. I am just another member of staff though!!!! but I will re-think & do more for them. I appreciate everything they do so I'm off shopping later to look for pressies. Many thanks for all your replies and ideas

mrsb

Actually I think you do the most important thing telling them you value them and their hard work. No amount of presents (or chocolates) are worth as much.

Presents are easy to do - it is much more difficult to remember the praise and encouragement at just the right time to have the biggest effect on morale, esteem etc.

So, don't feel under pressure to spend your hard earned cash on gifts!

Maz