Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talking Tin Lids

Hi

Have recently spent lots of money at school on avariety of ICT equipment as part of our speaking and listening programme (fancy CD coombers/ blue movie makers/ digital camera for every class- 8 classes in total), which (breathe) as a school team we decided we needed!!!

However my favourite item was the cheapest item (well apart from the coomber as my previous one was broken and this lovely new one takes CD's). Its called a talking tin lid and was originally designed for the RNIB. It looks like a chunky tin lid and surprise fits onto a tin. The person can record a short message (30 seconds- actually quiet long when you use it in a focussed way) describing what is in the tin and then its fitted on so that the person can then press a button and find put what is in the tin.

So far this item (cost approx £2) has been used to record animal sounds for chn to guess (recorded by chn and adults), giving instructions for just about any activity in the indooor/ outdoor area for chn to give and respond to/ for fun (!!!), saying hello to parents (always difficult to get parents to use!) and upteen other uses. After a short time teaching the chn how to use the equipment to record the chn in nursery and recpetion are able to use quiet well- nursery probably better as we tend to have them out frequently for use.

Cheap, cheerful, long battery life, fun to use and with teacher head in mode encourage children to speak carefully and clearly as otherwise the message may not be understood!!!!

Has anyone else come across them/ got ideas for use

Lisa E

Thanks for this idea LisaE

I have just ordered a starter pack (3)

including postage £15.49

You can order just 1

Talking Products Ltd

I can think of many uses

I have seen the lids, but only for what they were originally intended for as my dad has them, but I had never given it a thought for nursery. Next time I go to his I shall be hunting for anything else we can use.

My tin lids arrived today (two days delivery)

included a classroom activity book Think I will practice to night leaving my husband instruction messages around the house

Guest Wolfie

Having glanced at this thread last night, I went on the training for the new Letters and Sounds framework today and could see all sorts of uses for them as part of Phase One. I told everyone else on the course about them, I think the company who makes them is going to get a few orders! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)