Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Private Day Nursery Planning Over Summer Pre-school Room

Hi

a quick question, i work in a private day nursery that is open all year round. do we have to do focused plans in the pre-school room during the summer , because funding ends on the 20th july i have been told (not sure if its right information though) that you only have to carry out focused plans during funded times, i.e term times.

anyone shed any light?

Dawn

In the nursery I worked at six or seven years ago, we used to have the summer 'off' as it were. We didn't do planning to meet ELGs (or DLOs as they were then!) but had six weeks of pure topic-based activity planning - seaside, sports, food etc.

Children were still getting the same level of 'teaching' but we weren't matching it up to the formal planning we did during funded sessions.

It was great cos the photocopier happened to break at the same time, so we weren't able to do reams and reams of worksheet copying and the children actually had to create their own pictures. Funnily enough, we never went back to worksheets after that summer :o

I asked this question at work the other day too Dawn as we get the odd half term weeks 'off' the planning. Apparently though during the summer we will be assessing the rising three's for their chengeover from BTTM to the FS. Our planning situation will be much the same as RB mentioned in that there will be no 'formal' planning. Six weeks seems a long time to be out of the planning loop as it were but I shall wait and see how that all goes.

We do not do formal planning during non-funded times, although do plan for activities but alot more loosely. We use this as a fun time where we just go with the flow, and if the children are happily playing out in the garden then thats where they stay all day!

We also see this as time to review planning systems, draw up long time plans and generally get ready for the new term, so we may have staff working in the preschool who usually work with the babies and vise versa just to get staff free to complete this sort of administration work. :o

Guest Wolfie

I think that what you've heard is right Dawn but, as others have said, six weeks of "no planning" is a bit strange and may disrupt the routine for the children - I'm making the same decisions about what to do at the nursery I support and have decided that it's probably a good time to get to grips with organising the continuous provision more effectively and put the "other" planning based around topics on the back burner! I'm kind of hoping that a break from the topics might give me the confidence to lead the staff into planning based on the children's interests instead but I'm not sure that they're ready for that change yet!

we do the same as sue and have fun regardless of term time or holiday club - our motto is 'where learning is fun both for children and adults!' :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)