Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Children

Guest toddleo

Guest toddleo

I wonder if any of you are able to let me have a look at the Precedure you follow in respect of Safeguarding children. We obviously have a policy in place for Child protection/Safeguarding children, but are looking to type up a Procedure to go with it. I would like a look at some examples, sto start off with and set me on my way! I am aware that lots of settings just quote that they follow the flow chart in the "what to do if you think a child is being abused booklet" but I wanted to do more than this if possible. Thank you so much.

Hi Toddleo, long time since I read one but from memory mine used to have regard to,

Listening to a child who wants to tell you something,

Not asking leading questions, being subjective is difficult but necessary,

Comfort and support the child,

Believe them.

If they tell you something they are possibly going against a warning of not to tell anyone.

Not promising to keep it secret, telling the child from the outset that you may to tell someone else, (depends what they say to you)

Writing down everything as soon as you get the chance, word for word if possible. If you forget something paraphrase it, but make it known thats what you've done. Lock this information securely.

Only passing the information to those in the setting who would absolutly need to know (CP officer, manager, childs keyworker) but making others aware that you want to know if the child says anything that makes them concerned.

The last thing you want is gossip and speculation.

You would have to decide on individual cases whether the childs parent/carer was informed of any disclosure or not, there can be circumstances when its not advisible and others when it is. Also decide how many written observations it would take before you notified an outside agency. The type of things said or observed will dictate this to you.

A disclosure that needs to be passed onto social services can be a scary thing for staff to face so include something about how staff would be supported too.

Have you a policy on how you talk to children about their bodies? Are they told 'you mustnt say no to a grown up?' If so they need to know there are times when saying no is a good thing, obviously you'll know how to word it for your children. When you talk about 'stranger danger' is too much emphasis put on people we dont know? People who are known to the family pose a risk too.

Hope that helps a bit

:o

I too came on here re safeguarding children policy what i have done is copied the flow charts and attatched them to the policy rather than just referred to them. I have said that a copy of what to do if you are worried etc is in reception and the staff room. I have written that all staff are responsable in sharing thier concerns with the manager all concerns kept confidential i can keep going if you want more please email me.

If you go on to the website www.swcpp.org.uk it gives full information re- safeguarding children procedures followed in the south west - the bulk of which should be the same everywhere.

• 3 months later...

Please, can any one please tell me what format they use to record any safeguarding children issues / details. I know the PSLA had a record book you could buy, or do you use your own format.

thank you :o

I use that format, there are templates of recording sheets and body maps etc in the book along with the procedures and help information on filling them in.

Edited by Guest

I use that format, there are templates of recording sheets and body maps etc in the book along with the procedures and help information on filling them in.

Thank you Shirel :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)